Spontaneous Allnighter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just decided to change my all night butt smoke to tonight instead of tomorrow night. Got a 7.8 lb. butt a couple of days ago ( .99/lb at Food Lion), planned to cook Saturday night, but changed my mind! Gonna be down in the mid 40's tonight, but I think the winds will be calm (nice change from the 50mph we had Tuesday night). Got the butt rubbed and ready, better go fire up a chimney full of Kingsford and get this show on the road!

Good luck and have fun. I'm on Chicago time and I figure you should be pulling it off around noon tomorrow. Whats your plans. What rub are you using?

Dan,
Just got the butt on the WSM (11:30 eastern). Figure it will take a little longer than noon time tomorrow. The last one I did took 17 hours to get to pulling temp (190-195). Guessing I will have similar results this time.
I used a rub that I like on ribs:

2 cups sugar
1/4 cup paprika
2tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 cup salt
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder

Got the rub recipe online (credit to Lynn and Richard Kancel). Works great on ribs, should be fine on a butt.

Well, I only needed 13 hours this time. Kept the WSM at a little higher and more consistent temp this time (didn't try to tweak it so much this time). Gonna wrap this one in some heavy foil and put in a cooler to hold while I go the the store (gotta get more Kingsford and some malt beverages!). Gotta love the WSM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back