Spirit Model Not Heating Up In Cold Weather

Kelly C

TVWBB Pro
My father in law told me his Weber Spirit LP gas grill gets frost on the propane tank and regulator hose whenever he grills on it when outside temperature is below 32 degrees. In addition, the grill temperature does not get hot enough to grill anything. Is this a common occurrence for others or is there another issue I can tell him about?

The release of pressure in the tank when using the gas is what causes the drop in temps and thus, frost on the tank. Yes, it can cause connections in the system (connections, hoses, manifold, etc...) to freeze up. If I was him, I would try a new full tank.

Father Inlaw is saying his propane tank and regulator hose frost up when the tank is almost full. Any other possible causes?

Was it the same tank? I really don't have any other suggestions that I think would be worth taking a flyer on.
Hopefully someone else has a suggestion.

I have never seen a "good" LP tank/regulator frost up unless the tank is just shy of totally empty and that is grilling down into 0F and below

Yah, something seems amiss. I would suggest a "Different" tank if the old one was just filled up. Otherwise, I would go next to the regulator/hose. But I don't want to just throw parts at the problem since I am just making an educated guess at the problem.

Back