spirit II e-310 new burners only light and stay lit on low

KevinMatray

ordered a new burner/crossover kit. fit perfectly but only lights and stays lit on low. won't light at all on high/med. immediately goes out if lit on low and turn to med/high. if i put the old burner back in it works fine so it's not a bypass issue. any ideas? (before you ask "if old works fine why go new?" - bad crossover required lighting burnier 2 and 3 manually and replacing kit is not much more than buying just the crossover). thanks in advance

Samuel, the article is basically about the bypass function. if i put my old burner back in it works fine. so... are you saying that there must be a leak/fault with new burner kit?

I cannot imagine how a change in burners would affect gas flow. How does the flames look when you light it on LOW?
I would do one more change back to the new burners and then be careful how you open the tank before lighting the grill. It could be that you just coincidentally tripped the protection device the first try.

What happens is when first install a propane tank if you put it on and turn on the gas to fast it will go into bypass mode which is a safety mechanism and thus your grill will not heat up over 300 degrees. In the link I believe there is video that shows what to do. I think if you disconnect the propane tank and reconnect it and then proceed to turn up the the gas on all burners slowly it will get you out of bypass mode and then you can reach high temps.

edit: Sorry I did not see where you said it was not a bypass issue.

i have tried everything i could find on fixing bypass. disconnected reconnected gas, opened tank all the way but waiting 60 seconds before opening burner knob (this is the weber recommended bypass fix), only opening tank part way, etc. literally 20+ different combinations. i even changed the opening on the spider screens which, interestingly, seemed to help the first burner but when i put all the burners in it still had the issue. i am leaning on sending back the new kit and either figuring out how to deep clean the crossover bar or getting a new one.

You could always use the new crossover tube with the old burners......but then maybe that has something to do with the problem.
Have you tried a different tank?

Shut off burners. Wait. Shut off tank, wait a while. Reopen tank a bit. Open slowly. Then light one burner. Then all.

Last edited:
ordered a new burner/crossover kit. fit perfectly but only lights and stays lit on low. won't light at all on high/med. immediately goes out if lit on low and turn to med/high. if i put the old burner back in it works fine so it's not a bypass issue. any ideas? (before you ask "if old works fine why go new?" - bad crossover required lighting burnier 2 and 3 manually and replacing kit is not much more than buying just the crossover). thanks in advance
Did u check the air/fuel mix tab to see if it's open and the same spacing as the old tube?

Back