Spirit Drip Tray Rails rusted

D Wiess

TVWBB Member
The drip tray rails are rusted on my 1996 Redhead Spirit and I am doubtful about getting the bolts out. My plan is to drill new holes to attach new rails. Any other suggestions?

soak them for a few days with a penetrant. then use the heat wrench(torch) on the head of the bolt or screw. cool down, repeat. if it don't come out then then you know yer in trouble.

Same problem with my 94 Red head Sprint 900. Bolt heads broke off. Tried a torch and screw extractor. Was able to get two out. Weber quoted $89 for a new cook box ...

Last edited:
New rails finally arrived today (on back order and then misplaced at warehouse!!). The old bolts were sprayed several times with penetrating oil while waiting for the shipment to arrive. The bolts would not move with a screw driver or wrench. Then I used Vice Grips, the bolts still did not move but now I have a crack in the housing, one of the four bolt attachment points. Is this cast aluminum? Can it be repaired? The grill works fine and is in pretty good shape other wise. Any help appreciated.

Back