Spirit 500 drip tray mod?

Kevin Honkala

Hey guys - looking for some advice on possible drip tray modifications for an older Spirit 500. I believe this is a mid-90's Spirit and I picked it up as a free Craigslist find. I've already replaced all of the internals and it's a very solid little cooker - doing shrimp on it tonight. My drip tray/pan has some tiny holes due to rust and I can't see myself spending $50 or more on a replacement drip pan. I'm not finding this item as readily available compared to drip trays for Genesis models.IMG_20200601_172113227_HDR.jpg

I've covered the pan bottom with this high temp foil tape, but I'm wondering if anybody here has found an alternative pan solution for the Spirit 500. Maybe a deep baking tray or some other grease catching vessel. Just to be clear this is the large drip pan and not the small grease cup.

I've attached a pic of the cleaned up unit for reference purposes in case I've mis-identified the model. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

grabbing one off another grill might be your best bet. I think it would be the same size as the Silver A grills as well, so that would give you more possibilities.

Kevin,
Props on those pneumatic tires on your Spirit. That thing will roll over any ground surface.

Jeff

grabbing one off another grill might be your best bet. I think it would be the same size as the Silver A grills as well, so that would give you more possibilities.
You're probably right, Bruce. That might be my best option given that Weber grills of this era are seen frequently on my local Craigslist page - often times even for free. I just acquired a free Silver B Blue top in the same manner. My wife may not like the idea of having another grill on hand for parts use.

Kevin,
Props on those pneumatic tires on your Spirit. That thing will roll over any ground surface.

Jeff
Thanks for the kind words, Jeff. I did the same mod for a Silver C that I had (recently sold). I'm considering doing the same mod for the Silver B that I just picked up.

I patched a dime-sized hole in a drip pan using some high-temp RTV and 1/32 inch aluminum from the local home store. Then, before I used it, I bought a decent pan from a nice soul here. I really ought to try it out to see how well the RTV will hold up to cooking grease. Maybe next time I do burgers-n-brats.

I patched a dime-sized hole in a drip pan using some high-temp RTV and 1/32 inch aluminum from the local home store. Then, before I used it, I bought a decent pan from a nice soul here. I really ought to try it out to see how well the RTV will hold up to cooking grease. Maybe next time I do burgers-n-brats.
Thanks for the reply and the idea, Brad. I'm thinking this might work for me - the holes in my pan are quite small, like tiny little drill holes. I might try smearing some of this on both the outside and inside of the pan where the holes are present. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Back