Spirit 200 wheels coming apart

JoeSchweighofer

I've been finding hard rubber pieces and parts on the patio around my Weber Spirit 200 and it's from the casters wearing out \ coming apart. I can replace the wheels easily enough, but the real problem is with the supports under the base where the wheels attach - one or more of those attachment points (they're made from just thin sheet metal) have gotten bent over time and the grill is now wobbly. Looking under the base, straightening the supports would likely be just a temporary fix. Weber wants about $125 + shipping for a replacement base, and when I add the cost of the wheels and my time to replace those parts, I might just as well buy a new grill. Any ideas \ suggestions to fix the problem (new wheels) without buying a new base ??

I've been finding hard rubber pieces and parts on the patio around my Weber Spirit 200 and it's from the casters wearing out \ coming apart. I can replace the wheels easily enough, but the real problem is with the supports under the base where the wheels attach - one or more of those attachment points (they're made from just thin sheet metal) have gotten bent over time and the grill is now wobbly. Looking under the base, straightening the supports would likely be just a temporary fix. Weber wants about $125 + shipping for a replacement base, and when I add the cost of the wheels and my time to replace those parts, I might just as well buy a new grill. Any ideas \ suggestions to fix the problem (new wheels) without buying a new base ??
I would get some casters with a flat top for mounting and bolt them to the Spirit base. They should be tall enough to protrude from the concave base.

You can get casters from Amazon or harbor freight

Yah, some photos of the current design would help with suggestions. But, yah, if it comes down to buying a new base, it might be better to move on from it.

Just ran across these and got me thinking.....

You could try and attatch them directly to the the grill or just make a 'dolly' that it would sit on --- maybe with some minimal fastening --- to keep it running and mobile.

Rumor has it that Weber will be announcing a new Spirit line. Prop yours up and see what they offer or if they discount the current line. If you go new, I strongly recommend you consider a model with the sear station. It adds a new dimension to your grilling.

Back