Spider Guard screw replacement

Martin_Holman

I'm restoring an old genesis and have managed to clean up the existing burner tubes and spider guards, unfortunately the screws that were holding the spider guards in place are toast.

Does anyone know what I should be looking for screw wise to replace them? I scoured the local Ace but didn't find anything that looked remotely close

I'm restoring an old genesis and have managed to clean up the existing burner tubes and spider guards, unfortunately the screws that were holding the spider guards in place are toast.

Does anyone know what I should be looking for screw wise to replace them? I scoured the local Ace but didn't find anything that looked remotely close
Post a photo. I don't recall ever seeing a screw holding them in. They were either screens inserted into the tubes, or exterior plastic guards

My guess is that he is referring to the screw that is used for the adjustable air shutter on the front end of the burner tube.

I don't know if they are the same size or not but they remind me of the sheet metal screws that are used for metal ductwork on a furnace or water heater flue.

Martin, here is one I took out of a discarded burner tube from one of my rehabs. Not that it matters a whole lot, but it is a phillips head.20230718_184215.jpg

Hmm, they look a little different on this set I have. I'm pretty sure this is from a genuine Weber burner tubeIMG_20230718_191942026.jpgIMG_20230718_191859500_HDR.jpg

Yah, not sure what mine were. Basically any reasonably close fitting screw will work though.
Yes. They don't have to be pretty, they just have to fit. I dig through a can of nuts and bolts I have all the time looking for stuff I need. I just had to do it today to find some extra nuts to install a toilet that was giving me problems.

Yah, my hodge podge of spare screws, nuts, bolts, washers etc..... have saved me a ton of money and time and gas over the years. To most people, the parts organizers (not really very organized) look very much like a big pile of junk.

I pulled out some burners to have a look. Most of mine are from older grills (plastic spider guards) but I did find a set that has metal spider guards (screens). On this set, the screw for sure holds the air shutter in place. The screen is on the outside of the tube, trapped between the shutter and the tube. I looked for spot welds, assuming the screen might be attached to the tube but I found none. So maybe the one screw will release the shutter and the screen.

John, your assumption is correct. The screw holds the cap/shutter on the tube and in place and also the screen.

Back