spices

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have a couple of questions.
Does anyone know where I can get dry Worcestshire sauce powder?
Many dry rub recipes call for turbinado sugar otherwise known as "Sugar in the Raw". A friend recently gave me some freshly milled, unprocessed raw cane sugar crystals from his plantation in Florida. Would this make an acceptable substitute?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Roy C:
[qb]Does anyone know where I can get dry Worcestshire sauce powder? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never heard of it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>[qb]Many dry rub recipes call for turbinado sugar otherwise known as "Sugar in the Raw". A friend recently gave me some freshly milled, unprocessed raw cane sugar crystals from his plantation in Florida. Would this make an acceptable substitute?[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure. That would probably be fantastic. I think the reason for the turbinado is that it doesn't clump up with moisture like processed sugar. If you store a rub, the sugar in it can make a bit of a mess.

Light brown sugar would also work fine as a substitute.

PS: I just finished removing the membrane and applying the rub to three racks of Sam's Club baby backs for tomorrow. They look fantastic -- no brine cure like the grocery store ribs.

Hi Roy!

One reason you will see many recipes calling for turbinado sugar is because of it's high burn point. Regular sugars will burn at fairly low heats. So, many cooks have gone to using turbinado sugar because of this.

Personally, I never use it. I haven't had a problemn with regular sugars at the 225? I cook at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back