Sparesttomorrow

Rick Soliman

TVWBB Pro
I am going to try cooking my spares at 275. They are large slabs any suggestions.

Do I need to foil?
When to baste?

Is this temp to hot?

Rick,

I'm no expert, but my experience is that the larger the slabs, the more temp they can stand (and really need). If they are the larger spares, I don't think 275 is too hot at all. I would baste frequently. There are several threads on the 3-2-1 method of cooking ribs (three hours cook, two hours wrapped, and then the last hour cooked). With large slabs such as these, that might work well.

Sounds like you and your brother are in for a fun weekend! Good luck with your smoking!!!!

I cook fairly large spares (Sam's) pretty often. For me, the best process is to foil at 3.5 hours for 45 min. to an hour and then finish unfoiled. I determine "finished" with the toothpick and/or the tear test. The time out of the foil is important to firm up the ribs. I use AJ to sprtiz, but limit the time with the lid off. This can be done best by removing the entire cooking grate to a table to do your foiling or unfoiling and replacing the lid while so doing.

Paul

My approach is similar to Paul's. I do spares in the 4-4.25-pound/rack range. I have done them at various temps, including 275, but prefer doing them at 225-235. I do not think they need the higher temps and far prefer the timing flow at the lower temp level.

I foil when the ribs are very deeply colored (roughly the 4-4.5-hour mark), adding a little mixed juice to the foil. They cook just till pick-tender, anywhere from 45 min-1.25 hours. I agree that the time out of the foil is necessary to firm the meat a bit after the foiling stage.

I do not baste or spray.

I'm not a big fan of foiling. That being said I was fortunate to get some pretty large spares my last cook. Almost 9 hours in the smoker till they were done - the longest spare cook I've done to date! Most of my spares cook in the 7 hour range - give or take about 30 minutes.

Back