spares vs. bb's

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Prince

TVWBB Fan
ive done spares twice, bb's 5-6 times.

the bb's so far have been much better, more tender, etc.

whats the key to a great spare? thx

Rub with your favorite rub, bring your smoker to temperature (225?-250?). I like to cook spares bone up. A couple of things you might try is to poke some holes in the membrane between the ribs. This will let some moisture soak into the meat. Cook until they are as tender as you like. You might try cooking 2 slabs. Cook one for 5 hours and the other for 6 hours. See which one has the texture you prefer.

Some of the best spares I've ever made have taken between 8 & 9 hours. You can't be impatient with these, I know it sounds trite but "they're done when they're done".

Good Luck,

Rick

I have been smoking spares for the last few times and have been able to get them really tender. I have kept the temp between 240-270 for about 6 to 6 1/2 hours. They have come out tender each time.

I'll agree with Rick...patience is a virtue...
I've never cooked a spare under 8 hours that came out to my liking...on the flip side of that, I will say that I find the meatier spare more cumbersome to eat and therefore prefer BB's.

I've always smoked baby backs, until my local chain grocery had spares for .98 lb. These were Smithfield enhanced and fairly thick. I gambled and used the southern succor rub in spite of the enhancing. Came out perfect after 7 hours. Not too salty as I expected they might be. We eat the thinner end ribs and pull the thicker ones for NC BBQ sandwitches.

Smoke'n Jim in NC

Hi David,

My favorite trick that gets everyone crowing for my spares is to do the following:

1) Night before I rub a sweet onion mustard on them and sprinkle them with my favorite rub and wrap them in plastic wrap and let em sit and soak up that good flavors. Next day I remove the plastic wrap before cooking them of course.
2) Them smoke them on the smoker until the meat temperature between the bones is 180-185 F.
3) I then remove them from the smoker, take the water bowl and middle section off and place one of the grills/grids right over the coals on the charcoal ring that should be still going.
4) I them go ahead and cut the ribs
5) I then place them on the grill and braise them a little more and baste them with my favorite sauce and get a hint of charredness on the tips

Men fight and women faint over these spares! Try it you may like that method!

PrestonD

thanks again for all comments and suggestions..i will not give up on the spares until i've mastered them/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back