Spares vs. Back Ribs - Time & Technique

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve M.

TVWBB Fan
I've always cooked baby back ribs and had good results. However...... with BBRs costing between $4 - $4.75, I picked up some St. Louis cut spares to try out.

My question relates to cook times. I've cooked the BBRs and usually run them about 6 hours @ 225. I've also tried them with the 3-2-1 method (though I think with the BBRs, I like the 6 hour cook better).

Anybody out there cook spares regularly that can give me some tips? I've got company coming for the holiday and would like to impress them.

Thanks in advance.

I cook spares almost exclusively. Like the price and like the extra meat. I usually figure on about 7 hrs without foil for them to be chewy tender - not falling off the bone. If you like them more tender or close to falling off the bone, I would suggest 45 min in foil followed by the last hr without. Maybe 5 hrs, 45 min. in foil and then another hour or until they are as tender as you want them.

I'm sure you realize that extra prep time is required and Chris has a good section on that on the mainpage.

Good luck and hope your cookout goes well.

Paul

I trim spares to KC cut. I always use rib racks. I try to keep the grate temp 225-250 for 3 - 3 1/2 hrs depending on how close to 225 I have been.

Foil for an hour having spritzed with AJ. Sometimes sprinkle with brown sugar a la Stogie with the spritz.

Return spares to racks and smoke for 45 min to an hour. Then glaze for a 1/2 hr. They will be falling off the bone.

Mike

Usually takes about 6 hours for me - no foil and with a rib rack. When the bones show, I paint them with sauce (typically kc original + honey mix) and let them smoke another half hour. Rest ten to twenty minutes.

I get my spares from a butcher (alwin brothers in peoria) and have them pull the membrane. I DO NOT have consistant luck with frozen water added walmart stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back