Spares Going on in T-Minus 4 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wade G

TVWBB Fan
It's 1:35AM Est, and I am about to head to bed. First smoke with the new Guru will be tomorrow morning, starting at 5AM! Woof.

Doing 2 racks of spares for some friends as we watch NFL, and tally up scores in our Conference Championship games for fantasy football.

Looking forward to letting the Guru handle the temps, and the new ET-73 giving me piece of mind as I set it and head back to bed around 6am.

Will let you know how it goes.

Can't wait to hear the results! Santa brought me a guru but I haven't looked at it yet. Is it easy to install?

Wade- just used mine for the first time on a big oven stuffer roaster. Worked great. I love this thing! I also used one of those chicken holders that had the bird cooking upside down. Not sure of any plus to this on the smoker, but think it will do better for oven cooking.
Susan- The thing is a snap to put on. Doesn't take but a few minutes to install. I also went to Home Depot and bought a hot water heater wrap, cut it down and used it for the smoke. I'm sure the one you can buy looks better, but this works great for $19.95 lol. Thanks for the tip on this board.

Susan-
I agree with Bob on the install. Couldn't have been easier. I got the eyelit kit (so I could run probes through the body, rather than under the lid). that took much longer (like 10 minutes) than installing the guru.

Maybe you can glean some knowledge off this mistake. I spent a bit of time cutting small squares of the included metal tape, sealing all the holes on all 3 of the vents. I don't think that was necessary. And actually, proves counter productive if you ever want to use those vents again (like right now when I am using the ring as a stand for my chimney to get coals going for the ribs). so, only foil tape over the one vent (and only 2 of the 3 holes in the vent at that, as the adapter goes in the 3rd). Leave the other 2 vetns alone, just turn them to the closed position when you use the guru!

I am following Chris' recipe for the Texas Sugarless Sprinkle for spares. Charcoal is ashing now. Should have these things on and back to the rack (bed, not ribs) in a bit.

I'll check back.

PS- -Bob, it is about 20 degrees out (or at least it feels that cold). what part of the bullet does that "jacket" cover? just the midsection? and can you get to the fuel door?

Wade, I just bought a hot water heater wrap. It is cut about 1/2 below the top cooking surface. I have a hole cut out for the Guru to hook up. I do not have an area cut out for the door to add more coal. I use sand, so water isn't an issue. When I have to add more fuel, the wrap just lifts off of it. (after I unplug the Guru). I also saved the extra part of the wrap I cut off and "pinched" 3/4 of it shut and used the metal tape to keep it shut. I just slip the top part over the top of the smoker like a hat to enclose the WSM in the wrap. Looks goofy, but it works.

Well. Spares came off the smoker at the 5 hour mark. The rub had made a nice crust. Transported them in foil to a friend's house and we sauced/reheated them on his gasser.

Folks said they were the best they had ever had. They really liked the Texas Sugarless Sprinkle and finished with Rendezvous Sauce. It was a hit.

Wade, check out the "New owners" folder and there is a thread on the hot water heater wrap, along with a link to a pic. This is where I got my info from. Hope this helps, because it is worth it!
My WSM, wrap and Guru may get a workout today. I have a large Turkey that needs done and may have to do it today. Right now, it's 8* out and -2 with a wind chill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back