Spares & Chicken

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Well after a winter of using only the Weber Kettle, I'm breaking in the WSM for the summer.

I'm doing a pkg of spares -- 9.55 lbs. (I think tere are two slabs in the pack) and two chickens butterflied. I've done chicken before -- about 5-6 hours but not the spares. I know it's done when it's done, but any guesstimates on time? Also, I'm planning on using the Minion Method.

Finally, do you all recommend pulling the chicken sooner, or putting the chicken on after the ribs have been cooking as the spares will probably take longer.

Thanks in advance,

DWL

Doug

Sounds like you're planning on a 250 cook which means sand or water. For chicken, most people here favor a higher temp because of the crisper skin, I still like the low/slow.

I also do lots of spares and I think you'll be looking at 6 to 7 hours unless you decide to foil. Ribs on top and chicken on bottom. Still, you'll need to pull the chicken sooner. At those temps mine take 4 1/2 to 5 hrs.

If you want to finish at the same time, you could start the chicken later. I haven't done that but I don't know why it wouldn't work.

Good luck with your cook and enjoy.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back