Spare ribs

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Chris G. published a recipe for baby backs with times on foiling etc. Is there a recipe for spare ribs as well? ... Thanks, Larry

None that I'm aware of posted here, but you can use that rib recipe/technique with some modification of the times out of foil, in foil, and back out again. Spares being larger, will take more time overall. I wouldn't go too much longer, if any, on the in foil part though. Bearing in mind you must keep strict control on the cooker temp, I would think, at 215-225°, 4½ hours then 1½ in foil, and then the grilling off to set the glaze would probably work fine.

Larry, all I ever do is spares, and I do them around the 250 range. I do them until they have a good color and "feel" to them, foil for around 45-60 minutes, then back on out of the foil. I sauce them the last 1/2 hour and run them under the broiler for a minute or two, or on the gasser to carmalize (sp??) the sauce a little. They goal for me is to have a very slight pull on them to get the meat off the bone, not falling off. Anything over 1 hour in the foil, and I think they are to mushy for my liking.

My "default" cooking temp is also 250°, and I agree it's easy to get "fell-off-the-bone" results going more than 45-60 minutes in foil. But cooking temp is also really key to how much time in foil is too much. Stogie's method, for example, for loinbacks, indeed works using 2½ hours in foil, but, again, strictly at 225°.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry E.:
Chris G. published a recipe for baby backs with times on foiling etc. Is there a recipe for spare ribs as well? ... Thanks, Larry </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did spares yesterday at about 225, and they were done in about five hours. I've used foil for brisket and butts, but never ribs....probably because they look so good when I take them off the WSM, the next step is sauce and eat.

This is another site I've used for recipes...

BBQ by Dan

I've also found that letting the ribs rest in foil after the cook also softens the meat. I don't care for using foil when I cook, but letting them rest in foil does the trick for my family members that like that mushy texture.

Back