Spare ribs

ShawnG

This is my first batch of spares, i trimmed them down to st louis style (thanks for the video chris) and i have all this left over meat.

What in the you know what do i do with this? I am thinking about rubbing them down and throwin' em the smoker. Ya know something for next time i do some beans, and ya know they are smaller and will be done a bit earlier so i was thinkin' some for me and the pooch.

Second question. Why wouldnt i just cook the spare rib whole? I mean these are smaller and nicer looking but my bbq shop i eat at leaves em whole.

i think trimming makes them easier to eat, and you answered your own questions about the trimmings. everything you stated is what you can do!! I always take the trimmings out after 3-4 hours.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> ...Ya know something for next time i do some beans, and ya know they are smaller and will be done a bit earlier so i was thinkin' some for me and the pooch.
... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup. You got the idea!

You can smoke them as is, you don't have to trim the flaps off at all.

Glad to see i am not that far out of touch I shall do as i planned! The dog and i shall dine like kings.

Boomer Sooner

Hey Shawn - no reason to treat them like they are something different than ribs. Trimmed, the ribs cook faster present better, etc. As far as the tips, skirt, and end. They are still "ribs" treat and cook them the same way as the ribs.

Eat them as is - that's what you would have done if you didn't "St. Louis" them, right?

I find I don't have them left over much, unless I'm cooking 6 racks or so.

Other uses - pull the meat for pulled rip sammies, or use in beans, etc.

Think of it this way. When you cut up a chicken you don't struggle to figure out what to do with the legs, wings, and thighs, right? It's all chicken.

Trimmings from St. Louis cut ribs - are still ribs
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Those left over cuts are called "Rib Tips" in these parts. They go for $6 to $9 a plate at some restaurants here. I make them all the time because all I buy is spare ribs most of the time.

Back