spare ribs

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I use my weber water smoker to smoke all things. I have trouble with spare ribs. When the internal temp reaches 160 on the larger end of the ribs I take them off. This takes about 4 hours at 220 degrees. I have heard that they are done when you can twist the bone and when the bone sticks out 1/4 in. I have never had the bone twist even when internal temp is 160. Anyway, my ribs seem overdone.....I want them DONE but not overdone. Any advice?

David
Ribs are not going to be tender at 160? internal, you need to take them to 180? plus. Take a toothpick and slide in the meat between the bones, it should slide in like it is going through butter.
Jim

Dave,

Just my opinion and my experience, but I have never had spare ribs done in four hours. baby backs yes, 4 to 4 1/2, but never spares. Spares take me anywhere from 5 1/2 to 6 hours. I have never checked temp in ribs but I have heard it should be 180-190. If you pick up the slab in the middle with a pair of tongs and it bends like it's going to break in half...they are done.

Is there a fear of overcooking ribs. I know it is low and slow but I fear they will get "tough" if they are cook to long.

With most non-poultry BBQ meats, tenderness is achieved by cooking beyond "doneness" on through to the point of tenderness. Connective tissues need time to break down. Overcooked ribs would be more accurately characterized as mushy, or-- in the case of "way too long"-- dried out or burnt, but they don't get tough if cooked past a certain temperature generally accepted as "done" for the particular type of meat.

Soooo, as long as I use some sort of mop sauce to keep from drying out cooking 5-6 hours is a good thing and will only make them better?

Without using foil, my best successes were cooking at 230-240* measured at the top grate, average 2 lb. St. Louis-trimmed racks, for 5-1/2 hours, spraying with apple cider vinegar and turning at the 3 and 4-1/2 hour marks, and then saucing at the 5 hour mark for the final 30 minutes.

David, I have done spare ribs without using a mop sauce and they have come out tender and not dryed out at all. The key, like everyone else has said, is to cook them for about 5-6 hours. Either use the toothpick method as Jim suggested, the tong method or just go to pull the ribs apart. If they pull apart easily, then they are done.

Good luck.

David,
I cook only spares during competition. Have a few trophies to prove you can match the tenderness of BB with spares.

My process is pretty basic. I use a rib rack, trim the ribs to St Louis style (ending up about the same size as BB).

My target temp is 220 - 240, ideal is toward lower end of range.

I allow 7 hours total. I leave them alone first 2 hours, then spray with mixture of apple juice and basalmic vinegar. I also start with bone ends (opposite brisket bone end) down. At 3 hour mark, I spray again and rotate position of ribs in rack, moving outside ribs inside, etc.

At 4 hours, I start looking for meat to be receding from end of bone. Once it is about 1/2 inch, I turn them over, so bone end is facing up. Spray again and every 30 minutes thereafter. I sometimes will sprinkle a little more rub on in case I feel too much has washed off.

At 5 1/2 hours, tenderness is checked by wiggling bones, toothpick through meat, meat receding 3/4 inch or more. I then begin basting with mix of mustard, maple syrup, and brown sugar.

I watch this step closely to make sure they do not burn. Repeat at least once in smoker and once again when you pull them

At 6 hours or so, I remove from smoker, let rest for 30-45 minutes, then I glaze them with my BBQ sauce over hot coals until crispy. Let rest 15 minutes, then cut up and serve.

Always yummy.

Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back