Spare Ribs Perfected

Jake N.

I bought my WSM last May and have been smoking baby back ribs, spare ribs, pork shoulder, and brisket. The spares were my least favorite because they always come out dry and tough. With the advice from this forum, yesterday I was finally able to make perfect spare ribs.

I cut the ribs St. Louis style, then rubbed them with Texas BBQ Rub. Smoked them for 4 hours, wrapped them in foil and put them back on for another 1.5 hours. Removed foil and put them back in the smoker for about 20 minutes per side.

They came out awesome! The spares were very juicy and tender, much like baby back ribs but with more flavor and meat. I couldn't believe it.

Great thanks to everyone for their advice.

Jake

Well, i just foiled mine after 3.5 hours and back on for another 1.5 to 2.

I've been trying to perfect the spares for a while and have had the problem of them being tough. I gotta good feeling about these though.

My problem with spares is the fat. How do you guys get around that. Or does the fat not bother you?

Let me know how the ribs turn out after 2 hours. I foiled mine for 1.5 hours and they were just about falling off the bone perfect. Any longer in the foil and I was afraid that they would collapse upon themselves.

I selected racks that were less fatty. Then I trimmed off any large chunks of fat. If you don't trim the rack St. Louis style, then you may get some fatty portion on the top end of the rib above the knuckle(?). So the main rib was pretty lean.

Did 12 lbs of spares yesterday. Trimmed the real fatty areas off. I don't remove the membrane but I do score inbetween the ribs to let the fat render. Put these guys on at 7:45 AM and much to my surprise they were done by 12:30PM. I cooked at between 240 and 250 at the lid. They had almost no visible fat. Put Blues Hog sauce to finish them off. They looked good enough to put in competition. My big problem was keeping them warm until everyone arrived at 4:00PM

paul h .... it was that special sauce that made em pretty!
icon_biggrin.gif

So how'd they taste? I'm sure they were great, but were they "competiton" worthy? How would you have scored em? 9's across the board, right? Since taking the judging class I know you think about that stuff.

Rick

Rick, unfortunately by the time we ate they had been sitting for a couple of hours covered on the grill at low. Appearance-8, Taste-8, Tenderness-7. I probably should have eaten one when they first came off. This was my best effort yet. I had people who normally don't like ribs comment on how good they were. I'm just a real skeptic on people giving compliments. I'm always wondering do they really like them or are they just saying that to be nice. I guess I'm going to have to step up an try competing if I REALLY want to find out.

Jake,

I have a rack of spares in the fridge and will give it a try. I too haven't had much luck with spares-- they always come out too fatty/greasy. Thanks for the detailed steps to take!

Paul--

What you might not find up to par is often much better than most people have had before; the compliments are likely valid. When I cook for guests or clients who I don't know well it can be more difficult to ascertain the level of taste sophistication of the tasters. However, when I cook for friends at home for whom I've been cooking for many years I expect--and get--astute criticism. (They've all learned to understand and comment on my self-criticisms and all have dined with me at high-end restaurants many times and know how savage I can be with criticism in that environment.) It took some time for my group to get really good at some of the subtlties but by expressing my negative criticisms to them in detail (and--very important--the positive criticisms, what and why I think something works) they've all gotten pretty good at it.

There are a few things you can do when faced with an early finish for ribs. If you hold any meat in a hot environment (temps that exceed the internal temp of the meat in question) it will continue to cook. Though large thick roasts (especially very well marbled cuts like butt) can take that for a while it's best either not to apply heat (holding well-wrapped in a cooler instead) or to make sure that the heat applied is less than the target internal (but greater than 140). With most ovens and grills it is hard to set the heat level that low. If you are able to set temps that low wrap the meat well to avoid moisture loss.

Since ribs are relatively thin it is often better to cook them to slightly less then done (pull when your probe meets some resistance but not a whole lot), skip any glaze or sauce, pull them, cool them quickly, wrap well and keep cold till 20-40 min before service. Then, reheat and finish the ribs on or in a grill indirectly at first to get them hot and then directly, if necessary, for bark texture and/or to set up the exterior to take a glaze. Finish with glaze, sauce, or plain, indirectly; serve.

If you don't have lots of time to kill you can cook as you normally would. Preheat an oven to 200. When you pull the ribs wrap them in a double thickness of foil (tightly if unglazed or unsauced; the top loose if either). put them in the oven and shut it off. Periodically (every 30 min or so) turn the oven back on for just a few minutes then off again. Just before service open the foil and check the rib's surface for appropriate texture. If the glaze or sauce or bark has become too moist from the extended time in foil open the foil completely, raise the oven rack to its highest position, then turn the oven on at 400 for a few minutes--watching closely-- till the texture is restored.

Neither of these methods is foolproof but can work in a pinch. The former method is preferable and yields better results.

Kevin, Thanks for the tips. I was going to put them in the oven at about 160 but the wife needed to use it for other stuff. Plus,I had already cut them up. I guess I'll try the other suggestions next time plus.

I'll be posting my Sunday rib cook with pics in a separate topic.

Back