Spare ribs on my WSM

Those are some my t fine looking ribs. I'll be bugging you in technique and how to's later. Great looking ribs.

No problem. These were done in five hours. I usually take six hours to cook ribs but these were just as good.

I trim the membrane and lose pieces first. Then I coat the ribs lightly with oil. Use the oil of your choice. I use oil over mustard because most spices are oil soluble and mustard is water based.

Anyway, after applying a light coat of oil I apply my rub both back and front.

I let the ribs sit for 20-30 minutes before putting them on the grill. I cooked these at 240.

After 2.5 hours I wrapped them in foil. I put some butter and turbinado sugar on top before wrapping.

After 1 hour in the foil I unwrap and apply the first layer of glaze. 45 minutes later I apply the second layer of glaze.

When the glaze looks right I take the ribs off and let them rest 10-15 minutes before serving.

I hope that helps.

Pete

I was planning on going to my first bbq competition this year and I practiced a lot for it. Unfortunately, my teammate backed out and I felt overwhelmed going solo to my first event so I backed out too. Anyway, ribs are my best category but I make a pretty good pulled pork too. I am a disaster at chicken and my brisket still needs considerable work, although I am pleased with my last effort. I am going to spend the next year honing my chicken and brisket recipes and techniques. I will have plenty of pictures/recipes for the site. I just hope it helps someone because it wasn't too long ago that I was figuring out how a chimney starter worked...

Pete

Back