Spare Ribs $1.97 lb

Jeff S

TVWBB Pro
Picked up spare ribs for $1.97 at my local Sam's Wholesale. The butcher even did part of the trimming for me for the St, Louis Style. I still have to remove the skirt and the membrane. Thought that was a good deal. I have never had spare ribs. Hope they are as good as the loin backs I have been smoking. It would be a great deal for half the price!

I buy all my meats at my local BJ's Wholesale club. Although the butchery guys/gals are starting to know me personally, I never got the impression they could/would help with trimming? ...especially in your case with the St Louis style ribs.

Can't beat that, especially at those prices!

I was surprised too. I thought he would say no. It will still take some time to do the rest of the trimming. I also saw that there were on sale for $1.99 at my local Kroger grocery. They will usually do anything you ask them too. I may stop by there this afternoon and give it a try!

Because it's Labor Day Weekend all of the stores around here are selling StL cut spares for $1.59 lb. Of course they do include the tips in the package so you're still paying for the whole slab. But at that price .... who cares? Guess I should probably pick up a few slabs just to try cooking them again. I've been cooking baby backs for so long I almost forgot how to cook a spare.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Enjoy the weekend folks!

Rick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Rushe:
I buy all my meats at my local BJ's Wholesale club. Although the butchery guys/gals are starting to know me personally, I never got the impression they could/would help with trimming? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeff, I regularly shop at the BJ's here in Framingham. I thought as you until recently. Now I understand that the meat department will trim any piece you pick the way you tell them. Must be the case now in most or all stores

Good to know!

I've been very impressed at the service from the butcher department at the BJ's in Danvers.

I had the poor guys going back and forth trying to find me the largest package of pork shoulder back around the 4th.

That, and the prices, is why I'll keep going back. Good to know its happening at other locations as well.

Jeff S. Watch out for any meat at Kroger. The one near me only has enhanced meat.

My brother bought some last year on sale. Brought them over for me to smoke. I already had the rub mixed and went ahead and used it even though I knew I shouldn't. They were a salt lick. They were also not very tender. I won't ever smoke any enhanced meat again. Well the exception would be a deal on butts or picnic that I can't resist.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">nice six-pound tri-tip to smoke, too </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoa, I six pound tri-tip? I've been doing tri-tip for 15 years and I've never seen one that big. What part of the country are you in, I thought we got all the choice tris out here in California. Major jealous here
icon_frown.gif
EDIT: Nevermind, just saw that you're in Santa Clara.

I picked up spares for $1.69 lb and will be cutting them down to St. Louis style.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pete B:
I got spares for $1.99 a pound in Santa Clara at Costco. Got a nice six-pound tri-tip to smoke, too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pete, let us know how the 6lb tri tip comes out. I bought a large harris ranch tri tip a few months back and it came out real tough.

Erik

Holy smokes!

I was happy with my $2.15/lb at my local Publix. I found they had trimmed off part of the spares (sorta halfway to st louis style)...but wrapped the slab around this piece, so I paid for it anyway! ah well.

Back