Spare rib advise

tmfast

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello all,
I've been doing baby backs for a long time. They always turn out great, almost a no brainer at this point. I have'nt had a lot of success with spares, Mine have turned out fatty & greasy like alot of people say. I would like to give em another try. Tomorro, I have all the live long day to try again. My butcher has some nice looking spares.
Are there any spare experts out there who can offer some advise? Prep, times, temps. I have read the cooking tips, but dont like to foil.

I'm no expert on spares but...

I've cooked them twice (3 slabs each time) and I used a lower temp at the grate. For BBs I normally try to keep the grate between 230 - 240. Try keeping the grate 210 - 230.

Also I trim a lot of the fat off the spare before cooking. The last 3 turned out pretty good.

Watch Chris' video on St Louis Ribs. It will tell you everything you want to know.
Be sure to trim that excess fat! Mine were perfect at 5 hours, and 250.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff S:
Watch Chris' video on St Louis Ribs. It will tell you everything you want to know.
Be sure to trim that excess fat! Mine were perfect at 5 hours, and 250. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had a rack of ribs and a butt to cook on Wednesday. Tuesday night I watched Chris's video and Wednesday I started my Minion method and went to get the meat out to prepare them and they were in a pan supposedly ready. The butt was but nothing was prepared for the ribs. My wife just put the marinade and the rub on like she cooks in the oven. I cooked it anyway the way she did it. It was good but a little too greasy and a lot of uneatable waste.

Back