Soy Sauce and Ribs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scot Cummins

TVWBB Member
I was curious if marinating with soy sauce would led to problems of being overly salty? Anyone have any experience with this?
Also has anyone ever tried using wasabi?
Scot C

Straight soy would be very salty, but here is a recipe by a very fine BBQ'r with an Asian flare:
Nature Boys's
Ginger Mahogany Ribs

The Marinade

Ingredients:

4 Tbsp Fresh minced or grated ginger root
4 Cloves Garlic
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1 tsp Mustard Seeds (I used Black)
1 tsp cracked black pepper (Tellicherry nice)
1 Tbsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
4 Tbsp Peanut Oil
4 Tbsp Maggi Seasoning, or Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp Rice Vinegar (or other vinegar)
2 Tbsp or more Rice Wine
1/2 tsp Chinese Five-Spice Powder
2 Slabs Spare Ribs or Babybacks

Preparation:

With mortar/pestle, pound the garlic, ginger and kosher salt into a paste. Add mustard seeds and peppercorns and pound until crushed and worked into the paste. Stir in remaining ingredients (except the ribs and finishing sauce!)

Pour over ribs in ziplock bag, and massage all around. Marinate overnight if possible, or a few hours at room temp. Not longer than 24 hours, as ginger is enzymatic, and can supposedly make the meat mushy if marinated too long.

I cook them 3-4 hours over a liquid filled drip pan at 275-300. Considering the liquid is 212, overall cooking temp approx 240-250??

Anyway, cook them the way you normally cook ribs, and brush on the finishing sauce for the final 45 minutes to an hour, until caramelized, but not burnt. Enjoy!

Finishing Sauce

Ingredients:

3 Ea Green Onions (Scallions) chopped
2 Cloves Garlic (chopped)
4 Tbsp Fresh Grated/Minced Ginger root
2 Tbsp Chinese Oyster Sauce (if you have it)
2 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
3 Tbsp Ketchup
1 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
1 Tbsp or more Siracha Chili Sauce (or heat of your choice)
1 Tbsp Turbinado Sugar
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
1/2 tsp Chinese Five-Spice Powder (or to taste, I use less, many like more)
1/2 Cup Water
1 Tbsp Butter
1/4 Cup Whipping Cream (optional)

Preparation:

Sautee green onions, garlic and ginger in sesame/olive oil until soft. Add remaining ingredients, except cream and butter. Simmer 30 minutes or until reduced by a third. Stir in butter, and if desired, 1/4 cup whipping cream. Set aside to cool.

Brush on ribs during last hour of cooking, until caramelized.

Enjoy, and please let me know what you think. Any suggestions appreciated.

Submitted by Nature Boy

There are also low sodium soy sauces available. I use soy sauce alot, because we eat a fair amount of rice. Tamari soy sauce is less salty and better tasting than your typical Kikkoman soy sauce.

I should clarify. Tamari is a type of soy sauce rather than a brand of soy sauce. I think Kikkoman makes a Tamari soy sauce as well as other types.

Here some info on Tamari sauce from elsewhere on the internet:

"Tamari is one of Japan's oldest culinary secrets. Its roots go back to the original soy sauce, conceived in China and brought to Japan along with Buddhism in the 7th century A.D. It has been known since ancient times that cooked soybeans, exposed to certain microbiological cultures and aged in salt, will produce a tasty, dark red paste. The Japanese call the fermented paste "miso". Tamari, meaning "that which accumulates" was the name given to the protein-rich liquid that accumulates during the miso ripening process. It has become a highly prized seasoning.

In the 17th and 18th centuries, the manufacturing of soy sauce developed from a household art to a commercial industry. In order to increase production, the thick fermented paste (miso) was replaced by a thinner fermented mash (moromi) that had a much higher ratio of brine to solids than miso. The solids content was later revised to half soybean, half wheat rather than all soybean resulting in the current day soy sauce or shoyu.

Tamari is a premium soy sauce which goes back to the original formula using primarily soybeans. The result is a smoother, richer, more complex sauce which is perfect as a flavor enhancer, marinade, stir-fry sauce or table condiment.

There are three main categories of soy sauce available in the United States:

Tamari - Naturally brewed, made with more soybeans than ordinary soy sauce

Shoyu - Naturally brewed, made from half soybean and half wheat

Non-brewed - Made from hydrolyzed vegetable protein

When judging soy sauce, the characteristics you look for are aroma, appearance and most importantly taste.

Tamari - Tamari has a soft and rich aroma, very smooth flavor and a well balanced taste.

Shoyu - Although modern brewed soy sauce has a balanced taste, it is sharper than Tamari due to the difference in raw materials and a stronger alcoholic fermentation.

Non-brewed - Non-brewed with its strong, unbalanced taste and salty aftertaste is completely unlike Tamari and modern brewed soy sauce.

There are distinct benefits of a Tamari soy sauce as opposed to a regular Shoyu or non-fermented soy sauce.

Tamari retains its full flavor after cooking or in microwave foods. An ordinary soy sauce, because it is brewed with half wheat, contains more aromatic flavor notes in the form of alcohols and esters that flash off under high temperatures.
Tamari has 37% more protein than ordinary Shoyu soy sauce. The complex combination of protein and amino acids give Tamari unique flavor enhancing abilities. Tamari can be used instead of salt in prepared food without compromising taste, reducing sodium levels up to 35%.
Tamari has a noticeably smoother, less bitter taste than soy sauce brewed with half wheat, making it more versatile. Add Tamari to sauces, gravies and casseroles as well as stir-fry dishes. Also a great marinade."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back