Sous vide

I'm so gonna borrow that, thank you very much!
Any seasoning?

I usually give it a good pre-sear to get some extra flavor to infuse into the meat, along with a generous coating of salt, pepper, rosemary, garlic powder etc...pretty well just anything you like with your prime rib. I take it out and usually throw it in a 600 degree grill to sear it once more outside and good to go!!

Our other favorite is actually carrots...something like this. They just come out "extra" good. Turkey legs and thighs are probably our #2 after chuck.

One of my favorite sous vide accessories (other than my food containers) are these....reusable silicon bags.

1717106643209.png

I pulled the trigger on an Anova! Thanks for all the input!
One word of advice...sous vide is very much a time/temperature thing with a lot of leeway on either side of optimum. You can sous vide for too long and end up with very little mouth feel. And the one time I had a bag failure on a long cook was with a vacuum seal bag, along the factory welded egde. I use Ziploc gallon-sized freezer bags exclusively now after removing all the air and I keep the zipper area well above the waterline. HTH.

Do you use bag clips similar to these?
I do and it helps.
Those look like a good idea, but I have a Rubbermaid Commercial 12qt. Container with the snap on lid and I capture the zipper area of the bags between the lid and the container when I snap it on. I use the Lipavi Model L10 Rack that fits inside the container to maintain circulation all around the bags and it prevents the bags from floating. The container lid is cut to the outline of the Anova cooker. I wrap everything in towels to help keep the heat in and there is no evaporation to deal with. There are complete setups now but when I bought mine in 2015 there wasn't as much variety as there is now.

Those look like a good idea, but I have a Rubbermaid Commercial 12qt. Container with the snap on lid and I capture the zipper area of the bags between the lid and the container when I snap it on. I use the Lipavi Model L10 Rack that fits inside the container to maintain circulation all around the bags and it prevents the bags from floating. The container lid is cut to the outline of the Anova cooker. I wrap everything in towels to help keep the heat in and there is no evaporation to deal with. There are complete setups now but when I bought mine in 2015 there wasn't as much variety as there is now.
I have that same container and lid. I did the Ikea expandable rack mod https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/variera-pot-lid-organizer-stainless-steel-70154800/ but I like yours better.

Eric what can we expect as you first cook?
I’d do a tougher steak and sear it off. See if that adds tenderness.

Eric what can we expect as you first cook?
I’d do a tougher steak and sear it off. See if that adds tenderness.
Well steak is probably out as I have freezer full of "Prime" grade Ribeye that I cut my own via Creekstone Farms. I am thinking about thick cut pork chops.

Sous vide interests me but I see it as a better way to do leftovers.
I normally cook 3 or so nice meals every week for just the wife and I, we then do a few days of left overs or simple meals.
We keeps numerous meals or meal portions of meat vacuumed sealed in the freezer.
It just seems that heating up the leftover meals via sous vide would be head and shoulders better than in the microwave.

Back