Sous Vide?

I borrowed a friends Supreme unit and kept it for several months while they were away. To me, it sucked the joy and fun out of cooking. No smells, no stirring a pot, no tasting,.......naw, wasn't cooking...................d
I think this is a valid point to note, coming from a BBQ,er within a BBQ forum. Despite being a proven method it does seem like a boring way to cook for some home cooks.

the advantages go to the diner, not the cook ;)
I agree here that the diner is ultimately rewarded from this cooking process.

the advantages go to the diner, not the cook ;)

Since I'm both I'll stick to the old ways. Not to say that the food produced is not excellent, I really don't need any more excuses to eat more often than I do. I would be better off burning my food so that I would eat less:cool:...............................d

At another cooking forum I belong to (non-bbq related) this guy cooked a thick burger sous vide and did a quick sear. Amazing med rare hamburger. But as I commented there as well, I'm not sure I'd like to spend that much time and set up to do burgers.

So let me ask you experienced Sous Viders a question. can this method be used for reheading my tri-tips, chicken and other stuff cooked on the grill? I have been vacuum sealing leftovers and reheating in a pan of hot water but its a crap shoot hitting the proper reheat temp without going over and cooking the meat past the med-rare point. This sounds promising If I can set the SV machine at a temp and leave it till I am ready to dish up the meat.

So let me ask you experienced Sous Viders a question. can this method be used for reheading my tri-tips, chicken and other stuff cooked on the grill? I have been vacuum sealing leftovers and reheating in a pan of hot water but its a crap shoot hitting the proper reheat temp without going over and cooking the meat past the med-rare point. This sounds promising If I can set the SV machine at a temp and leave it till I am ready to dish up the meat.

Depending on the food, I will bag and boil, but the key is to not have the water temp. higher than the food is cooked for very long. For example, if reheating a med. rare steak, lets say 130 was the original cook, then perhaps put the steak in a bag with the water at 175 or so and then let it go down to 130 or so. It takes some practice to get it right.....but then, I usually don't do steaks as there's none left over, now for something like pulled pork it really doesn't matter, as the food is fully cooked anyway. I have an old electric skillet with a temp control on it that I often use when I need to be more precise............................d

Back