Source For Regulator & Hose For SSP Performer?

Kelly C

TVWBB Pro
Does anyone know a good source to get a regulator and hose for a SSP Performer from the 90’s with the quick fit connector for the small propane tank?

Ouch! That's an expensive regulator and hose. I wonder if you could just transfer the special fittings from the original set up to a cheaper regulator and hose. It looks from the picture that it would be possible.

Here is the regulator and hose I have. Is there a new fitting that could replace this one and fit inside the quick connect on the old small propane tank?
8B92B8E0-CC5A-40CA-B2DC-B0EA26225757.jpeg

Here is the regulator and hose I have. Is there a new fitting that could replace this one and fit inside the quick connect on the old small propane tank?
View attachment 66413
Is that fitting the weak link in the chain here? I can't tell from the picture, is there a rubber gasket on the end that is leaking or something? If not, I'm sure it will unscrew and go on a new hose/regulator.

Here's my SSP regulator set-up that I restored a few months ago. I saw the very expensive $150 Weber regulator price and decided to try to make my non functional Weber SSP gas regulator system work. I figured I had a shot since it is all mechanical with mostly metal that does not wear out.

I found a solution. I've been using for months with NO gas leak. Saved $150.

SSP Regulator system_m_2-18-2023.jpg

I replaced the Weber Quick Connect (QC) gas tank connection with a standard connection from an older gas grill that was sitting around idle. (The removed Weber QC is pictured by the ignition button in photo). I used pliers with a bit of force to unscrew the QC. I screwed in the standard connector with threads sealed with white plumber's tape to prevent gas leaks. To the right of the regulator, I found a slight leak in the brass box valve area with screw. The bracket and screw were very rusted. I disassembled it, soaked rusted bracket/screw in vinegar and removed stubborn rust with wire brush & steel wool. Cleaned gunk from inside brass valve fitting. After all cleaned, I reapplied some oil inside valve to help reseal/lubricate and reassembled. The other existing parts like the hose cleaned up nicely.

Other upgrades I made in the gas assist area:
- replaced SSP mechanical push button ignition with an electric ignition from Gen 4 Performer. Quiet start in one push now.
- adapted tank bracket to accept a standard 5lbs tank with gas level gauge that I bought at Costco a few months ago (posted on an other thread on TVWBB "Older performer propane connection"). Tank lasts a long time and refills are very inexpensive.

Last edited:
Here's my SSP regulator set-up that I restored a few months ago. I saw the very expensive $150 Weber regulator price and decided to try to make my non functional Weber SSP gas regulator system work. I figured I had a shot since it is all mechanical with mostly metal that does not wear out.

I found a solution. I've been using for months with NO gas leak. Saved $150.

View attachment 66438

I replaced the Weber Quick Connect (QC) gas tank connection with a standard connection from an older gas grill that was sitting around idle. (The removed Weber QC is pictured by the ignition button in photo). I used pliers with a bit of force to unscrew the QC. I screwed in the standard connector with threads sealed with white plumber's tape to prevent gas leaks. To the right of the regulator, I found a slight leak in the brass box valve area with screw. The bracket and screw were very rusted. I disassembled it, soaked rusted bracket/screw in vinegar and removed stubborn rust with wire brush & steel wool. Cleaned gunk from inside brass valve fitting. After all cleaned, I reapplied some oil inside valve to help reseal/lubricate and reassembled. The other existing parts like the hose cleaned up nicely.

Other upgrades I made in the gas assist area:
- replaced SSP mechanical push button ignition with an electric ignition from Gen 4 Performer. Quiet start in one push now.
- adapted tank bracket to accept a standard 5lbs tank with gas level gauge that I bought at Costco a few months ago (posted on an other thread on TVWBB "Older performer propane connection"). Tank lasts a long time and refills are very inexpensive.
Thanks Mike! This was very helpful. I need the Weber Quick Connect (QC) connector only since my regulator and hose are fine. Happen to still have it around or know where I can get one?
42921972-B75B-4E60-9E32-A3C88BAA53CE.jpeg

Thanks Mike! This was very helpful. I need the Weber Quick Connect (QC) connector only since my regulator and hose are fine. Happen to still have it around or know where I can get one?

If you’d like my old quick connect part I’ll be glad to send it to you. Just PM me your address. … but consider below first:

I believe 2004 was the last year SSP grill was sold. I don’t think Weber has offered the 5lbs tank with the QC in over 15 years and I didn’t find an alternative one when I researched. If you already have an older Weber tank with QC from the 90’s you may risk it being unsafe. I believe propane tanks are certified to last 12 years with date stamped in collar. Some places won’t fill them if beyond certification. Tanks can be reinspected and re-certified for additional years with some effort but seems like a PITA. I read somewhere the pressure in tank fatigues the tank’s structural integrity over many years and eventually makes it unsafe.

I would recommend converting to standard propane tank connector so you can use the most common propane tanks available on market today. You can salvage connector from old gas grill like I did or probably buy a new one at a hardware store or online.

Ok Kelly, I see what you are trying to do now. As Mike mentioned above, I'm not sure going back to a tank that old is the right way to go. My Genesis came with the quick connect fitting and I had to change it after I couldn't get the tank refilled anymore. That being said, I wonder if a quick connect fitting from an air compressor hose kit is the same as the Weber gas fitting. This one came in a kit from harbor freight and was pretty cheapIMG_20230218_181943650.jpg

Ok Kelly, I see what you are trying to do now. As Mike mentioned above, I'm not sure going back to a tank that old is the right way to go. My Genesis came with the quick connect fitting and I had to change it after I couldn't get the tank refilled anymore. That being said, I wonder if a quick connect fitting from an air compressor hose kit is the same as the Weber gas fitting. This one came in a kit from harbor freight and was pretty cheapView attachment 66457
Not that it's really that important, but I was going through my grill parts today while looking for something else and came across an old Weber quick connect fitting. It is definitely different than the ones used for air compressors.IMG_20230220_185533184.jpg

Back