Soot?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am experiencing something never experienced before smoking turkeys. Previous outings have been with a Cajun Cooker. Now using a WSM. Cooking using the manual method at 225 to 250*. Wood is mesquite either soaked in water for 12 hours or dry. Bottom vents are partially closed. Top vent fully open to partially closed. Weather is windy around 50*. Water pan is full of hot tap water. Turkeys have been brined in Morton Tender Quick for 24 hours. I am at the 6 hour mark now.

Here is my question:
I am noticing what appears to be soot gathering on the skin of the bird. Much more than I remember in the past using a Cajun Cooker. It comes off by the touch, and looks like black silt on the finger.

What could be causing this? and should I remove prior to carving?

Thanks.

To answer your last question first, yes-- it's going to taste bitter and nasty. The long smoke, combined with the humidity of the water pan, are working together to deposit the soot, which is the result of incomplete combustion. Perhaps dry wood only, and less of it would help. Poultry really soaks up the smoke, so little or even no wood may be necessary to give desired flavor.

Mesquite would be my last choice for poultry. A little goes a very long way and, if overdone, tastes terrible, even on beef, where it's at its best.

Do a search on turkey, either here in the forum, or check out the Cooking section of the website. You will find that poultry is better done at 325-350*, as it has very little intramuscular fat to render out, which is the point of low & slow BBQing.

Thanks. What dry wood would you recommend? I will try the quicker method next weekend, bbqing at 325 to 350* with no water.

Softer nut woods such as pecan are popular. Also fruit woods, like apple or cherry. This Thanksgiving, I tried maple with good results, in conjunction with my seafood boil-based brine seasonings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back