Something obvious just dawned on me.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill S.

TVWBB Pro
Instead of having the drippin's fall into the waterpan and making clean up a pain, why not just put a foil pan on the bottom rack (if you are only using the top rack of course). Does this change anything as far as temps and smoke go?..........Take it easy.

Bill, I do that all the time.
icon_smile.gif
Never noticed any difference with the foil pan on the bottom rack.
icon_wink.gif
I only use the top rack 99 % of the time. Bryan

Bill,
If you foil the pan and it has water in it, it will boil over. You could foil an empty pan or the edges of the filled water pan to help with clean up! Or, you could use sand and foil the whole top of the pan and have a super easy clean up!!

I don't understand all the fuss with cleaning the water pan. It takes me 1 - 2 minutes to clean the pan in the sink a day or 2 after I cook.

I'm lazy too, thats why I use sand and cover the pan with 2-3 layers of aluminum foil. I don't put a foil pan on the bottom rack, as you suggested Nick, just remove the bottom rack.

Glenn

What I've become fond of since I cooked that chuck over the weekend is using another pan of water on the 2nd rack. It was awesome! I didn't even come close to running out of water and it was an easy cleanup. Somehow, temperature regulation was a snap also...I'm going to have to do some testing.

Oh, and since the water level stayed high...all I had to do was dump the pan and give it a quick rinse.

If you add an extra rack on the bottom you could still have your water pan in it's normal place, a pan (foiled) to catch dripings, AND a lower rack to cook on. The extra rack would only have to be 1 1/2 - 2" above the current rack. You could still get butts on the bottom.

I still like water more than sand. Cleanup is not that bad. Foil the outside, spray some pam on the inside about 1/2 - 1 hr before you fill with water. Stuff comes out pretty easy.

I've found that cleanup is even easier with water in the pan if you can get hold of some 24" wide foil. Picked some up last week at a restaurant supply house. No worries about ripping foil, not overlapping perfectly to keep it from leaking. Also a huge difference when it comes to wrapping the meat up.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back