Some Post-Smoke Day Spares

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Been quite a while since I fixed up any ribs, so I figured Memorial Day, and just after Smoke Day was as good a reason as any! :) Wild Fork Foods was out of St. Louis trimmed spares when I was shopping, so I go the full spares and trimmed them myself. Going to be using my neighbor's rib method for the first time..... 2-2.5 hours @ 230, wrap with butter/brown sugar/honey on meat side for another 2 hours.....check for doneness, back on for 30-45 minutes to tighten up and set glaze once tender.

So far, they are trimmed and rubbed. The rub is a mix of Fajita seasoning, and Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust.....

1653939584542.jpeg

Ribs go on the smoker @ 1pm local time, which, coincidentally, is when my beer and cigar are going to be ready for consumption! 🤣

More to come......

R

Well, got caught up in hosting my in-laws yesterday, so didn't get back to update! :) The ribs were pretty "loose" when they came out of their two hour foil nap, but not crazy falling apart (might do 1.5 hours on the wrap next time)

1654010144028.jpeg

I put them back on for 30 minutes to stiffen back up, then sliced for service

1654010186135.jpeg

I enjoyed the ribs using this method for the first time. I think that I will reduce the time in foil next time around, and probably add that time (and maybe a touch more depending on the rack) to the end of the cook unwrapped. There was a nice sweetness from the sugar/honey braise/wrap, but not out of place/over the top. With a touch of Sweet Baby Rays, everything seemed nicely balanced.

Good ribs, good company, great weather.

R

Last edited:
Rich ,
So old dogs can learn new tricks!!! Wrapped is my daughter's favorite way to do ribs and since I don't do ribs often enough, she always insist that is how we prep them. A little part of me feels like I can not get good consistent ribs, I guess this old dog needs to learn so need tricks also!!!

Back