Some oven char siu

Looking forward to that recipe. It looks positively delicious!
@Joan

this is a counterop marinade as i didn't have time to do a full on wet marinade.

so this is treated more like a bbq prep with a little sauce ont he meat and in the oven on ROAST setting.

i deboned the butt and splayed it flat. then cut long sections around 3-3.5 inches across. total cook weight was around 6# of butt. the other 2.75# went into a freezer bag and into the freezer.

ingredients:
2-3 pinches of kosher salt
around 1 tbs dark soy sauce drizzled across the pieces - don't overdo the dark soy sauce as it is SALTY and flavorful
1 tbs 5 spice powder
1-2 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp ground ginger powder
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbs granualted sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbs dry sherry
2 tbs neutral cooking oil
a little less than 1/4 cup oyster sauce
a little less than 1/4 cup hoisin sauce

dressing sauce when cooking the pork
1/4 cup honey with 3 tbs warmed water - mix both so they're combined

mix all ingredients except the dressing sauce into the pork slices, fully covering all the pieces.
place on a baking rack, on a tray, and pour a fe wounces of water into the baking tray and place in preheated oven on Convection Roast 425F for 25 mins
after first 25 mins, baste the pork with the dressing sauce and rotate the pieces
cook an additional 10 mins at convection roast 350F

pour remaining pork marinade into a saucepan and heat over low/med heat. cook till bubling to kill any raw pork bacteria. once boiled and simmered, you can use this as a serving suace to dress rice with or dip your pork into for additional flavor.

check for internal temp. when pork probes at 145F-150F in numerous places, the pork is done

remove from oven and rest 10 minutes. then slice to desired thickenss, across the grain, and serve.

Last edited:
Confirming: no marinade time, just cover the pork pieces and roast?
Countertop marinate around 30 mins as you prep rice and heat the oven.

Coat the pieces and go! And you could probably assemble it all and go too. The salt and dark soy sauce do the marinating. The sweets in the recipe balance the savory.

Tried it tonight with some 'country style ribs'. Need to work on my technique, but it was delicious! Thanks for sharing!

1669773625380.jpeg

Last edited:
Tried it tonight with some 'country style ribs'. Need to work on my technique, but it was delicious! Thanks for sharing!

View attachment 63430
The dry salt first helps keep the meat juicy. I never did it with country style ribs. I’m a butt guy. Butts are just so juicy. I’ll stop here while I’m ahead and someone makes a wisecrack joke 😂😂😂

The dry salt first helps keep the meat juicy. I never did it with country style ribs. I’m a butt guy. Butts are just so juicy. I’ll stop here while I’m ahead and someone makes a wisecrack joke 😂😂😂

Very often, I think the country style ribs are cut from the butt.

Back