Solution of Wobbly Legs on the 26

Another good tip! Thanks Stu, as soon as I get the parts already ordered- which looks like it will be Thursday this week- I'll start rounding up the rest of what I need. I'm thinking tables and some end caps. I noticed the end caps are not inexpensive on the website I ordered the frame from. Anybody know a good source for end caps? I'm going to look at the Weber tables and see if they can be used for my project, but also plan on looking at other tables and adapting/fabricating something to fit if I can as Weber doesn't give these type of things away and I may be able to find something that will work just as well but cost less. I'm not cheap, but I do like to be frugal! :D

Well the parts arrived late Thursday and unfortunately 1 of the parts sent was wrong. I ordered a bottom frame and top frame along with some other pieces but was sent 2 bottom frames. So the duplicate is going back and hopefully the correct frame part will be sent in it's place. The customer service rep I talked to was very cooperative so it seems it will be taken care of. When I ordered the parts their inventory showed 4 of 1 piece and only 2 of the other. I think I now know why the difference in inventory. :)

Steve, I really like this setup. Please post pics as you assemble this bad boy. That would be AWESOME! I'd bet someone could make a few dollars selling these modded frames to a bunch of us here with the 26"er's. Just sayin'...

The 26" has always been one of my favorites, and I think I would get a ton of use from it, but it has always been missing 'something' for me. This mod would convince me otherwise.

The correct frame part just arrived Wednesday, so now I have the correct 2 frame parts. I also ordered the frame end plugs and have those along with some axel nuts. Next I'm going to go out and start looking for the castor wheels and the aluminum square tubing and angle that I need to reattach the frame members after cutting them to dimension. I used my 26.75" kettle 2 weekends ago to do a turkey and the amount of moving the kettle does on it's stock legs is excessive. It's a twisting motion more than a back and forth motion, but it does make you wonder why Weber didn't come up with a more sturdy setup, maybe even just some cross bracing between the 3 legs, cost I'm sure played a big role in the design. I will have in excess of $100.00 just in the new legs and when you add that to what the 26.75" costs new, the price would be too much for most people. I'm doing this with a kettle I bought through ebay and even with the expense of the new legs I will still have only about 1/2 the cost of a new kettle tied up in this. When I have all the parts necessary I will start the assembly process and will post pictures.

Thanks Gary, every time I look at pictures of your modified Weber, I get an extreme case of "kettle envy". I'm hoping to be able to add some side tables to my kettle. That's another thing I forgot to add to my message above, I want to find or fabricate some side tables that can be mounted to the legs. Having the legs here and knowing how stout they are they should be able to support just about anything I would want to attach to the grill.

Thanks Gary, every time I look at pictures of your modified Weber, I get an extreme case of "kettle envy". I'm hoping to be able to add some side tables to my kettle. That's another thing I forgot to add to my message above, I want to find or fabricate some side tables that can be mounted to the legs. Having the legs here and knowing how stout they are they should be able to support just about anything I would want to attach to the grill.

For sure. Those legs will be plenty strong to accommodate shelves. I think you will appreciate too that you can load the kettle up with cast iron grills griddles, pans whatever and the weight will have no effect on the unit. More than anything I enjoyed all the indirect cooking I could do.

Back