Soggy bark -

Sean M.

TVWBB Fan
7# butt reached 182* after 15 hours (a 4# brisket was also onboard).

Foiled then put in a 300* oven for about 2 hours until it reached 202*. At this time I did not have time to wrap in towels and put in a cooler, so after about 30-mins I started pulling the pork.

75% of the bark was soggy and I did not serve it.

What could have happened?

~ Sean

When you foil a butt, the bark will get "more tender". That's a downside. Might not have been quite as bad if you took it out at 195. When foiling in the WSM it is recommended that you punch holes in the bottom of the foil to help avoid the soggy problem. Did you have that set up in the oven ?

Paul

If i had to guess i would say foiling did you in .To much moisture in the butt probably steamed it right off.

Hope this helps
Jeff

Haven't got a clue, but if I was a betting man I would think that your oven temp was too high and whatever moisture was inside the foil really started percolating and caused a very moist, steamy environment and that softened the bark. Just my guess/opinion, lets wait for some others to chime in.

I'm with Bruce. Unless you have to move it to an oven for some reason, finish it in the WSM or take it higher before putting it in the oven. Use a lower oven temp. Another thing, if your ratio of sugar in the rub is high (especially if brown sugar) bark has an easier time of 're-softening' if conditions are right.

15 hours for 7# butt sounds like your smoker was way cold. Butts can take a lot of heat. If you're looking for bark cook at around 275 to 300 and don't foil. If you do foil plan on unfoiling and putting back in the smoker before serving. Holding will soften bark.

BTW Soggy bark tastes great and people pay BIG $ for it.

Back