Soak-flavoring wood chips?

Calle

A buddy of mine just asked if I had ever tried soaking wood chips for a longer period of time to give them a different flavor punch. I told him that I do have some wine-flavored chips from wine barrels, and that there are Jack Daniel's chips, but I thought it would be interesting to see if anything would happen if you kept chips in some sort of juice or other liquid for an extended period of time.

Did anyone of you ever experiment with that already, and if so, what were the results? If not, do you think it would be something that might be worth a shot?

There is one train of thought that dry wood gives a cleaner "blue" smoke, and that soaked wood gives more of the less desirable "white" smoke.

IMO, there are better ways to give a flavor profile to your Q. You can marinate or inject or take the wine or JD or juice and spray it on your meat or add your desired liquid to the foil if/when you foil.

I haven't noticed any difference except the soaked chips might last a wee bit longer...no flavor difference!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I don't use chips much. I have used JD chips and Tabasco chips. The only difference I can distinguish between them and plain white oak is the price. You pay a premium for the name on the bag but gain absolutely no flavors from the name.

IMHO save your money and buy generic white oak.

Back