So who's cookin' tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
Just in case I get lonesome, who's doing an all-nighter tonight? I have a 12 lb packer on the bottom of the WSM which I realized all too late was a select rather a choice.
icon_frown.gif
It looked respectable, though, so maybe I'll get lucky with it. Trimmed, mostly disconnected the point from the flat, well-rubbed with Smokin Guns Hot, and restacked into packer position. Two absolutely HUGE butts on the top. The two of them cover the entire top grate and are doing the bump in the middle. Mustarded and Obi-Cued (Sweet-n-Heat). These seem to be very "loose" butts - they would probably have benefited from being tied up and trussed, but I didn't mess with it. I'll flip them around later on tonight after some shrinkage has occurred to get them away from each other. 1 pkg of oak pellets and 1 chunk of peach on for smoke at the moment.

I love the smell of late-night smoke. I just miss my old Darryl-dog cocker boy, my official assistant. Lost the old guy last weekend to a sudden finding of cancer and related immune-mitigated hemolytic anemia - his blood had started destroying itself at a very rapid pace. This cook's for you, D-Dog. Wait for me at the Bridge.

darryl1.gif

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Tonight, I made two batches of rub, tomato sauce, and Lexington. I am hitting the hay.
Sorry to hear of your loss. Hang in there.

Sorry about your pup, Keri.

I'm sure your brisket will be fine. Don't forget, the magic of smoking is to turn tough meats into edible marvels, so you've got the perfect candidate there.

I'm not cooking anything tonight, bou never know who you'll find lurking here in the wee hours.

Sorry, Keri.

The only thing cooking tonight here is me after the 250 mile drive home from work. (which went on long (work) after the supposed departure time).

I'm fixing to lift one to Darryl-Dog and then to bed.

Good cooking to you!!

Sorry about your loss Keri. Many of us here know and undersatnd what you are going through.

I still miss my little dog and it's been almost four years. Wife still can't get another one.

Keri,
You sent me the story about "Rainbow Bridge" when I had to put "Drake" down and it really helped me with the mourning process. Give that a read and I hope it will ease your pain as it did mine. I am sorry for your loss.

Larry

Keri - Sorry about your pup. I have a 15 yr old yeller mutt that helps me with everything I do in the back yard, he likes the new smoker.

I thank him every day for letting me live in his house since he IS the man.

subdude

Mornin', all. Thanks for your kind words about Darryl - you just never know when your loved ones are going to have to leave you, be they 4-footed or 2-footed. Fortunately we had the gift of being able to spend several hours with Darryl at the emergency vet while he was pumped up on fluids and able to move around - he got to water a few trees, check his p-mail, and get in some major snuggle and discussion time with me and Robert beforehand. Precious time, that.

OKAY... shake this crap off! Cassie the schnauzer is telling me that an alarm is going off, so that means that the brisket has now hit 188 and needs attention. Surprisingly, one of those big flat butts has reached 197, last I looked. [Added later - belay that 197. I must have had the probe in a fat pocket. Everywhere else is testing out somewhere around 170. That's more that I would have expected.] They're wide but they're flat (kind of like mine, I guess...
icon_wink.gif
) so that may be the difference.

I'm getting started on the cornbread sausage apple dressing, will start the warmup bonfire in the stickburner about 10, deliver brisket to DH's workplace immediately thereafter, pick up lettuce/grapes/oranges for turkey garnish on the way home, fill up stickburner with turkeys, take them off by 3 or so, take a shower, make a crock-pot full of gravy, and make delivery of turkeys, butt, and sides to Grandmama's seniors' apartment complex for their Thanksgiving potluck tonight. I figured up... right at 100 lb of meat between last night and today.

Thanks, all! Later - Keri

Sorry about your loss. I have a little dog that needs to go down. She turns 15 right about now. I don't remember the exact date. I think it is the 7th. She has been having small strokes for several years. It is not something I want to do though.

Anyhow I have 2 briskets on about to finish actually. 2 flats. I can't seem to find whole packers around here (Ohio). Wallyworld has flats occasionally. I asked an employee the other day if they had any and he said they didn't even carry them until this past summer when a guy from texas asked if they had them. He said they started carrying them but they can't keep them in stock.

I went to Sams to get the flats I got but they didn't have the whole. I know they get them I picked up my first whole one at sams about a month ago.

I am planning on freezing most of them. I have a pot of chili on the stove awaiting some brisket. The rest will be sealed in small portions for future chili cooks. Man that brisket in chili is AWESOME.

sorry about your loss Keri.......

thanks for postin all those deserts, by the way...i cant wait till i try some of them...just dont know which one to try first....

my next cook will be prob deep frying the turkey (got the appliance in the mail as we speak)

but i did grill 5 pounds of skirt steak last night.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back