So, having done a bunch of cooks on my 'new' G1k....

T Waite

TVWBB Super Fan
My restoration project has been in service now for a couple of week and has done a lot of cooking for me. Some have been posted, not all. It does a great job on just about everything I ask. It is really well-suited to indirect cooking but does HH on request. There is one thing though than I am dissatisfied with.

Searing.

The burners are so far away from the cooking grate and so well hidden by the FB's, that getting a good sear is very difficult. This is something I'm not used to.

What methods do you folks use to sear on your older Genesis?

I have the pci grate / cast iron bars, maybe that helps. Someone suggested using a CI pan to sear (grill like normal & then sear on the hot pan).............I've done burgers etc like that a few times.

I also have cast iron grates, and have no problem with searing / putting nice grill marks on the food. I think the cast iron holds the heat better than the stainless grates, especially right after the meat makes contact. Cast iron grates are solid and therefore will hold a lot more heat than the hollow "half tube" stainless grates.

What I like about the 3000 is exactly how far away from the burners the grates are; I also have a Genesis Silver B and all that does is sear!

The 3000, in my opinion, allows you a lot more control over a bigger range of temperature, but a la your original question, the high heat section of the heat graph is not as high as with a model with only one vertical row of flavorizer bars. I guess you can't have it all.

Still happy and still grilling!

Slainte!

Tim

Double banging, I do occasionally leave one extreme (either the front or the back) on high heat and then lower the other two. Usually I'm making something in the veggie basket, so usually I'll leave the front burner on high and lower the two in the rear all the way. This way, when I slap meat on in the front I get a good sear as the vegetables / potatoes are simmering away in the back in the basket. Then I sometimes move the meat to the middle or back to let it slow cook after I've branded it with the grates.

Final thing: I've found that if I'm cooking zucchini and potatoes along with meat (a common meal for me) if I boil the zucchini and potatoes for about eight to ten minutes (and during those minutes the grill is on full blast prior to a scrape), then drain and throw them into an olive oil coated basket, the results have been incredible! Sears the veggies / potatoes, doesn't take too long to grill and if I'm cooking fat steaks, the veggies and the steak can go on the grill at the same time and it's all ready simultaneously. Works pretty good!

OK I'm getting hungry but since I just had freaking oral surgery, I cannot grill for about a week!

Tim

I put the Weber brand cast iron grates on my Genesis 2000, and I agree that they sear and cook a lot better than the cheaper thin SS grates. I warm up the grill for 10-15 minutes with all three burners on high, which usually gets it up to 450-500 degrees on the thermometer. The food literally sizzles when it first hits the grill, the temperature does not drop very much, and it recovers and returns to temperature quickly. Everything I have cooked so far has had great grill marks and excellent searing and flavor.

Back