So-Cal meat sources needed

Jim W.

TVWBB Fan
I live in Long Beach. Are there any secret meat markets that I don't know about? It seems like the supermarkets aren't the best place to find a good selection of meats for low and slow.

Smart&Final has brisket and baby backs, Costco has a few things, but I'm hoping for more sources.

Thanks

Smart and Final has select grade meat. There's one close to my house and they are low priced, and the select grad is OK, but not as good as choice.

Costco used to sell choice untrimmed briskets, but not now. Bummer. I get spareribs, pork loins, etc. at Costco, but not briskets.

Costco did have some USDA Prime Rib Eye steaks for $8.50/lb, but now they're back to Choice, for about $7/lb. It's still a good deal for steaks.

Have you tried Whole Foods in Redondo or Torrance? They're both on PCH. I've not been to either of those but I've found really good meats at other Whole Foods and a conversation or two with the meat manager has gotten me further.

We love the quality (and lack of additives/hormones, etc) at Whole Foods but their prices aren't cheap.

I was just at Smart and Final yesterday and saw they had bone-in pork butts for $1.15/lb. Baby backs were 3.75. Don't remember prices on brisket but they had good stock. All were Farmer John brand.

Smart andFinal has good prices on whole cyrovac briskets,but they are Select grade. I don't mind; they come out quite good, but not as good as choice.

Albertson's in my area, La Habra, has whole brisket at $1.99 They also have it on their web site for home delivery so I think you can get it at any of the stores. I don't know if they can get choice. I am picking up 2 whole briskets on friday, I'll ask.

I just read elsewhere that Costco uses butts to make their "Boneless country style ribs", and that you can ask the butcher for a whole butt. Anybody done this? I had just assumed they weren't available since butts aren't in the meat case.

Unusual. Most Costco members here report that they get butts from there all the time-- but they're boneless only.

Costco sells pork shoulder butts. I have one in my freezer. It's a Farmer John, still in the factory wrap. It's huge; about 17 lbs, and it's boneless. It was $1.45/lb, or about $24 total.

The last one of these I had I cut into quarters and cooked them separately. Some became pulled pork, some became carne adovado.

None of the costcos out here where I am will sell any kind of shoulder roast/butt. I even asked them to sell me the uncut country style ribs, and they wouldn't.

So, it probably varies by region.

Stop Looking! I found your spot.

On the edge of North Huntington is:
The Beef Palace Butcher Shop
5895 Warner Ave.
HB - 92649
714-846-0044

I have frequented this place for years and from what I have seen and patronized this is the best.

This place can butcher a whole or half cow for you and vaccuum seal it for you.

Homemade jerky, exotics (although frozen) like boar and rabbit.

Grounds the beef in front of you, and on, and on, and on. . .

Good luck,
~ Sean

Although, I prefer the BB's from Costco better.

I'm bringing an old one back as this is the first time I have read it. For those So Cal people in San Diego there are two great meat markets that I know of, Tip Top Meats in Carlsbad and Iowa Meats off Mission Gorge and I-8 near Jack Murphy, ok, Qualcomm Stadium.

Back