So... anyone else cooking tonight? Packers here in OK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
Okay, so I'm not a stress eater - I'm a stress cooker. Worked all last week, all last weekend, all this week, and next weekend ain't lookin' too good right now. (It's the end of the quarter in the wonderful world of financial forecasting for a big utility company, and all the powers that be are looking for information...) Thus, I cook to de-stress. I actually got home early tonight, by around 5:30, had a coupla 12-lb packers that I had taken out of the freezer a while back in the spare refrigerator, so they've been on since 6. To answer the basic questions,
(a) water
(b) Smokin' Guns Hot
(c) combo of lump and Kingsford
(d) Jack Daniels pellets and a few chunks of peach
(e) Minion method, of course
(f) Bottom fat side down, top one fat side up, will flip about midnight.

She's been chugging along at about 255 in the lid for hours now. One is for the guys in my group at work, and the other is a thank-you brisket for another department that allowed me to borrow some of their 6-ft folding tables to use when we fed BBQ to the Belgian contingent.

So... what's happenin' out there in the world?

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time
(and going back to her happy place inthe rocking chair by the smoker on the back porch)

not cooking tonight but tommorow i'm going to smoke my first buckboard bacon that has been in the fridge now for the better part of 20 days.

I'm really looking forward to it. The packers I've seen recently are too big to fit in the smoker. What do you do with those, cut off part of the flat or try and split her in two equal pieces?

on annother note what do you think i should ask for my 97 SE with 26K and a few extras??

Yeah baby you know it........got 2 butts on as we speak.........lookin' good too
icon_smile.gif

Big Al

Suffering in Chicago for 1 more day and then back home, finally!!

Tom, I can fit a full 12lb packer on my WSM...how big is the briskets you're looking at? You might have to get creative intially(foil edges)until it shrinks down and fits nicely on the grate!

You go Keri and Al...hoping to get the WSM going this weekend as I have been out of town for the last 2 weeks! Feinding for some Q!!

Somewhere I have a picture... when I have a brisket like that, I separate the point from the flat, and lay them back on the rack together but lapped on top of each other further. Okay... hold your left hand out in front of you, palm side down, with the fingers pointing slightly off to the right. Now, take your right hand and lay it on top of your left hand, such that the fingers of your right hand are on top of the fingers of your left hand. Your hands should be forming a right angle now. THAT's how I lay the deconstructed brisket in the smoker. The point still sits on top of the flat for the most part, but I can adjust it as needed to make it fit.

I gotta find that picture... that didn't make much sense...

Keri C

icon_mad.gif
I finally broke down and flipped and reversed the briskets, and now temps don't want to come back up over 220. It has cooled down quite a bit and started raining outside, but the WSM is well protected from wind and rain. Ah well - I opened vents and we'll see how it goes from there. I flipped both briskets - I did NOT even remove the temp probes, and now both briskets are showing having dropped about 6 degrees each. Yes, I know it always happens due to the moisture in the meat, and, yes, I know magic is happening, but it still annoys me every time it drops like that!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Tom, send me an e-mail at keri at gbronline dot com describing it. I will pass your along to Robert and have him get in touch with you. He can definitely help you and possibly hook you up with some potential buyers.

kc

Just delivered the "thank you" brisket to our facilities folks. Had to teach them how to deconstruct a packer before slicing the flat, and within about 3 minutes after opening the package, there were at least three or four people following their noses into the room trying to figure out what they were smelling. Turned out very well - even the dry end slice was nicely moist and tender. I was afraid it was overdone as it had gone to 199 before I realized it, but it isn't doing the pot roast thing so I guess we're okay there. The one I kept for my guys just got to 193 (I was aiming for 188 but dozed off and missed it.) Soon as a co-worker gets back with store-bought sides, lunch is served. Come and get it!

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time
(who uses the all-night smoking session as therapy)

I'm doing my first brisket this weekend! I bought a Pitminder from the BBQ Guru people and it's being delivered today (so says the UPS site). It should be fun. I'm stopping at Sam's on my way home for the brisket. They all looked pretty big when looked earlier this week. I'll probably put a butt on too. Why waste the smoke!

Oh, what have I become? Hovering around the meat areas in stores on my free time.

icon_eek.gif

MikeZ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I cook to de-stress. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I drink beer to de-stress, and that naturally led me to BBQin'
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> (and going back to her happy place in the rocking chair by the smoker on the back porch) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a nice picture. Rocking on the back porch, cooker chugging away, the smell of smoke in the air, lookin at the scenery, listening to the crickets chirping. (Me - drinking a beer
icon_biggrin.gif
)

Dang, I gotta get me a back porch!

Keri, what would I have to do for you, so that you would pay me back a favor like your doing for those guys at work?
icon_biggrin.gif
It seems like your over paying!!! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back