Smoky's Barbecued Baked Beans

Brian M.

TVWBB Fan
Back in 1996 when I was new to BBQ I had some BBQ beans in a restaurant and requested information on a forum on how anyone thought they were done. I got a response from C. Clark "Smoky" Hale. We used to do the old New England Boston Baked Beans recipe, but since 1996 this has been our go to recipe.

Glad you are getting the BBQ bug up in Maine

As good as those beans were, they weren’t cooked on a grill. Baked beans take a long time to cook and at much higher temperatures than you would barbecue.

Probably one reason that they tasted so barbecued was that the meat with which they were seasoned as barbecued first. So if you really like that particular flavor, you can become a early legend in your area.

Smoky sent me his recipe from his book “The Great American Barbeque Instruction Book”

Next time you barbecue throw an extra pork sholder on the grill. After it is cooked to your taste, cut it up and save it for seasoning.

Navy or Michigan White beans 1 lb
Brown Sugar (or molasses) 2 cups packed
Tomato juice 4 cups
Celery ¼ Cup minced
Onion 1 Cup Chopped
Dry mustard ½ t.
Cloves ¼ t.
Horseradish 1 T. grated
Cardamon 1/8t.
Black pepper 1/4t.
Barbequed pork shoulder 2 cups or smoked sausage
Salt 1 tsp.

Cook beans until tender, pour into pot or casserole dish. Mix in other ingredients and bake at 350 degrees until tender.

There are thousands of recipes which you can try, but all are better if you use barbecued pork in the recipe.

Note: Many times I use smoked sausage which I like.

Just thought I would post this FYI.

Are you cooking the "raw" beans in the sauce in the recipe OR are you cooking them separately till tender, draining them and then add them to the sauce for the "final" cook?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Len Dennis:
Are you cooking the "raw" beans in the sauce in the recipe OR are you cooking them separately till tender, draining them and then add them to the sauce for the "final" cook? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We do cook the navy beans first until just about tender. drain them, and then bake them with the other ingredients. We have been know to add more molasses towards the end of the bake.

Back