smokinlicious question

BenjaminW

TVWBB Member
They sell a product thats called flavor dust. It sorta looks like saw dust to me. Has anyone used it??? What did you think?
The other thing I saw on there site that im thinking about trying is the smokin planks. I have heard about plank cooking over an open fire pit. I think im gonna try it next time I go camping...

p.s. I originally posted this under the wrong catagory, so if your reading this one twice...me sorry...

Hey Benjamin,

If you plank grill, go to Home Depot or somewhere and get some untreated 1x6 cedar boards. It's only about $3.00 for a 10' piece and you can grill tons of dinners with it. Simply cut whatever length you need for your food, soak it in water and start cooking.

You can't really re-use planks once you've cooked with them, so there's no need to pay more than what you will at HD.

Hope this helps. I've cooked a lot of salmon on cedar planks and I won't do it any other way now!

----

Benjamin - Those sawdust smoking products are geared for grill, especially gas grills. You want wood chunks for your WSM.

Jim

I’ve used the flavored sawdust in both my electric smokehouse and WSM with a combination of wood chunks…I thought that the dust brought more of the subtle flavors of the wood to the fore front..you only use a small amount of the dust like 3 TBLS….there wood chunks are also very nice to use clean and without bark(I‘m one of the no bark crowd)….the people who run the company were also very good to deal with…I talked with them in the parking lot for a over an hour just about Q…..Hope this helps

yeah, Thanks for the help guys. I will say that the smikinlicious guys (and gals) were extra helpful and nice. I will definatily do business with em again. I think I might give that plank cooking a try. Sound like a new way I can use me coal grill...

Back