Smoking whole breasts

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

We have about 20 folks coming over for Thanksgiving and we were planning on doing just whole breasts and not the whole turkey. Is it better to smoke/BBQ them just like a whole turkey or to butterfly them and lay them flat. I will be doing about 8 whole breasts.

I am open to any tips or suggestions

Thanks---Alan D

This is more of a further question than an answer. I'm assuming you're doing 2 shifts at least on this, as I can't see 8 whole breasts fitting at once in the WSM, unless they're small-- but you've got 20 to feed. If you butterfly, I could see one on top and one on the middle. Not butterflied, I could see 2 and 2, with some attention paid to alternating the sides exposed to the higher heat coming around the edges of the grates. If you cook at 325 and leave them whole, you could probably do 4 and then 4 more in about 5-6 hours total. Lower, and you might need 3 hours cook time per shift, plus whatever time it takes to get the coals fired up.

The ones pictured on this page are small and boneless. The last time I did turkey breast, it was a half, bone-in and nearly 4 lbs by itself. See here for reference. You might need to take the tape measure to the store.

Like I said, I didn't really give you an answer, but maybe some food for thought.

Umm, by the way, you are using a WSM, aren't you? /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Jim, thanks. I guess I only need to adjust the cooking time so will do a test breast this weekend to get the timing down. Also I should be able to get 4 or 5 on a WSM.

Doug, in regards to your question, my wife and kids have been good to me and bought me several WSMs as Christmas, birthday,Fathers day, etc gifts (God love'm)so yes the birds will be cooked on WSMs. I even use them for grilling too. They sure have made both home Q and competition BBQ a true delight

Guess Newbie #778 shoulda figured Veteran Member #183 would have already had the mechanical details down pat. Is there an egg-on-face gremlin around here anywhere? /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Jim, you are too kind. Must be that BOURBON STREET BREAD PUDDING with real bourbon sauce served hot

Doug, although I may have the hardware the learning curve is long and arduous. Hope you did not take the post wrong. In the NW many of the whole breasts are young Toms so whole you can fit at least 3 on a level and butterfly with 2 to a level. We decided to go with the skins rather than the boneless/skinless so they will stay a little moister. Also going with breasts alone we should not have the problem with the breast drying out as we try to get the thighs up to temp.Per Jim's suggestion we will put them in there whole.

I heard that if you throw a handfull of popcorn kernals in the cavity they will blow out the back when the breast is up to temp (grin)

By the way we are doing brisket, baby backs and jalapeno cornbread and slaw along with 2 gallons of Texas style chili (no beans. The guests get to take home left overs (part of our tradition). For desert we will have pumpkin cheesecake and Apple Pandowdy. My family makes me work for those WSMs (smile)

Alan,
No offense taken whatsoever. If you click on my webpage icon, you can experience MY arduous learning curve firsthand. Now, as to Jim and Dale, I'm not so sure they're not messing with me just a little. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

(Shame about those scrawny birds up there in the NW.) /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Doug

Doug
Your website is awesome. I hope others take the opportunity to visit your site. Very well done! Yes the breasts only, especially from the free-range birds are the petite size. Now if they ever got into roasting slugs, well we have some kingsize varieties here (grin)

Dale,
Good to hear from you. Hated to see you move to Chicago area. At least you folks have mild winters to BBQ in (smile). Happy Thanksgiving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back