Smoking using wood chips

Gerry D.

TVWBB Pro
I'm going to be trying the apple brined turkey recipe this weekend and all I can find are wood chips and not chunks. How much wood chips should I use and should I soak them since it is only a 3 hour cook time?

By the way this is the best website ever!

Gerry D.

Make a pouch out of doubled up heavy duty aluminum foil and poke a small hole with a toothpick in it and place it in with your coals.

When I use chips in a packet I soak 1 to 2 good hands full for 30-45 minutes. Shake the excess water off and put them in the packet. I usually take a fork and punch the bag twice. "They" tell me that I don't need so many holes but it seems to work for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Jones:
Make a pouch out of doubled up heavy duty aluminum foil and poke a small hole with a toothpick in it and place it in with your coals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Steve; LOL! I did that same thing Saturday with some chips for a quick smoke on a fattie. When I lifted the lid to see how things were going, because something looked funny with the top vent, I found the whole bag on fire. Too many holes and the chips caught. No more than two holes with a toothpick for me from now on.

Back