Smoking Tomatillos

Ryan S

TVWBB Fan
I've done roma tomatoes before, with good results. However, having someone for dinner that's allergic to tomatoes, but not tomatillos.

If no one has done this, I'll be sure and post whatever results I get. But I'm curious if anyone can point me towards something helpful about them. I see they are more aqueous than regular tomatoes, which will be a bit problematic. Suggestions/tips/anything?

Actually tomatillos are not tomatoes at all, though there is some resemblence. From the species physalis ixocarpa, they are part of the ground cherry family. They do have a fairly firm pulp to them, so they may smoke fairly well. You could try draining them before hand, by slicing them and putting them on a rack for a few hours. A little pressure on some paper towels may encourage further removal of juice. Let us know how they turn out.

Alrighty....smoked 'em. Took nearly 24 hours for small ones (<2" diameter) to get down to the raisin/leathery consistency. I have *not* yet used them, but hopefully will soon. For now they're in my freezer. Will edit as needed once I use them.

Back