Smoking Times

Jeff S

TVWBB Pro
I am pretty new at smoking so I am still working on my technique. From what I have seen so far, when my meat reaches proper temp (about 8 hours for butts and 3 hours for ribs) it does not have the texture of what I like from restaurants. I guess I like my meat a little more "done" when it comes to smoking. Does anyone have any suggestions for cooking meat longer?

I'm not sure where you got the 8 hours and 3 hours from but cooking at typical low/slow temps will not give you the results you're looking for in that time frame--as you've discovered. At low temps (225-250) you're looking at 12-18 hours for butts (depending on size and actual cook temps), 6-8 hours for spares (depending on same).

That said, one only wants to use time as a guide to how long something might take. The meat is 'done' when it's done to your liking--and that's when it's pulled from the cooker.

Whoops--lost my Net signal... If you click on the Cooking Topics tab at the top of this page you can peruse the recipes Chris has assembled. This will give you a clearer idea of possible temps, times and techniques to try.

I cook 9 lbs butts to an internal temp of 195* to 200*, which takes about 12 hours or more. I then wrap them in heavy duty foil and rest them in a cooler of similar size for 2 hours. My cooking temps are around 225* to 250* throughout the 12 hour period. Then unwrap, pull and enjoy!

Baby back ribs, same cooking temps, for about 2 to 3 hours. Then wrap them in foil and place them back on the cooker for another 1 to 2 hours. The foil wrap is what tenderizes and makes them fall off the bone if done too long or if thats how you like them. After foiling I place them back on the smoker to firm them back up a bit, around 45 minuntes to an hour. Then finish with your favorite glaze or sauce for around a half hour.

Take Kevin's advice and check out the cooking topics, they are a great starting area. You will find out that we all tweak things just a little different and our methods vary from one person to the other.

Kevin, Thanks so much for the input. I guess I am too much of a by the book kinda guy. I was just going by the cooking guide that came with the smoker. I will definitely go longer next time. I may try the midnight smoking routine!

Ahh...the instruction manual that comes with the smoker...

Most people here recommend that, after you finish with the assembly instructions that you use that manual to start your first chimney of charcoal. That's just how much good it really is.

Think of this web site as your instruction manual and you'll do just fine. Get rid of the Weber instructions--unless you have a friend named Spivey who is looking for some paper.

Like others have said above, I think going by internal temp (or, if you have the skill, by tear tests/feel/etc.) is the smartest way to go. When I learned to go by temps instead of times, my Q started to turn out a lot better.

Back