smoking scallops

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

has anyone smoked scallops on the weber? if so approximate cook times type of woods mrinades etc. i am going to do some for my sons restaurant and would appreciate any general knowledge or experiences folks have had. thanks

Jerry,

Scallops are very tender and do not require long cook times. I often cook them on my gasser with a smoke box. Once the smoke has started, I put the scallops on a very hot grill. If they are the large sea scallops, it only takes a few minutes on each side. Very tasty - and my wife likes mesquite for the scallops. Since they are not exposed to the smoke very long, it is a subtle flavor.

Ray

Scallops when done right are great. BUT there is a very narrow window between done and rubber. Try to get dry packed scallops and watch very carefully.

I've never managed to get scallops "right". I finally gave up and brown them in a frying pan and finish in the microwave...tom

Jerry
IMHO, Scallops, when cooked properly, have a very rich seafood flavor, the smoke flavor does not enhance this flavor. Most times the smoke flavor masks that flavor. It is better to serve the scallops as a starter or side dish with smoked meat to give a balance of flavours. I noted that you wanted to do them for your son's restaraunt.
Here is a special Australian recipe for scallops that you may like to try.

Tasmanian Scallops with Champagne
This dish is cooked on the side burner of your Gas BBQ Grill or using a wok or deep frypan on your Weber with direct heat. Once you have eaten scallops this way you will be spoilt for life. Trust me!
1 kg fresh Tasmanian scallops
1 bottle of brut Champagne or good quality, dry, sparkling Chardonnay.
300 ml fresh cream
1 shallot (chopped)
1 chicken stock cube
Let the scallops stand in the fridge for a few hours. Drain off all moisture before cooking.
Pour about 1/2 a bottle of the champagne in a deep frypan or wok and bring to the boil. Add the scallops and bring back to the boil and simmer for 2 minutes, turn the scallops continually. The scallops should just be turning white in the middle.
Remove and drain the scallops and set aside. Bring the champagne back to the boil and slowly add the; stock cube, cream and shallot, simmer for about 10 minutes until the mixture has reduced to half. Add the scallops again and heat through (about 1-minute).
Serve immediately on a bed of rice. Serve the unused champagne as the accompanying drink.
For a different taste use 1/2 clove of garlic instead of the shallot. Do not use more than 1/2 a clove of garlic as the secret of this dish is in the taste of the champagne and scallop with the infusion of the cream.

You can guess by the recipe that this dish is very rich. I did it the other day and served the scallops in mini round rolls whic I prepared as small cases.
I cut the top off the rolls to form a cap and then removed most of the middle of the roll to form a case and put the in a hot oven for about 10 minutes or so to brown them. I then spooned the scallops and cream mixture into them. Everyone was searching for more.

However you cook the scallops do them so they are just turning opaque in the middle then take them off and cover with foil for 5 - 10 minutes before serving so they will finish cooking and remain moist without going rubbery.

Regards

Back