Smoking "Ready to Cook" Ham

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Good Morning -

Help!!! I purchased a WSM a couple of years ago just from reading this forum. It has been absolutly great. I've smoked a number of different meats using different methods of smoking; however, I have not smoked a Ham.

Here's what I have purchased, oh yes, this ham is for brunch tomorrow, Sunday, at 3pm for at least 8 of us. I have a Smithfiled Smoked Ham, Ready to Cook, weighing in at 21 1/2 lbs.

When I took the Ham out of the wrapping, about 1 hr ago, I washed the ham in cold water, and now
it's in the sink in a cold bath. I was very supprised about the lack of fat on this ham. Virturly non, with a small amout of skin/fat near the Shank.

I've been reading some of my printed discussions that have taken place on this forum and there seems to be varying opinions, wouldn't expect less. Cooking time seems to vary from 20min to 1 hr per pound, and temp from 200-225 up to 350.

I am at this point leaning towards a longer slow smoke in the 200-225 range. (the shorter smoke is still an option but would prefer the longer)

I think the Mustard & whiskey Glaze sounds just
super, and I do happen to have some Old Crow and/or Ancient Age on hand.

I see as a real problem the lack of fat on this ham. If I cook over night, the long smoke, any suggestions on keeping the ham moist other than
a good combo of liquids in the water pan? I've thought about just before I go to bed placing
numerous slices of bacon on top of the ham. Good idea or bad?

Just a short recap: suggestions if I use the long smoke (18-21 hrs) or short smoke ( 7hrs)

Oh ya, I'am in mid Florida, Dade City, right now
for the winter, soooooo temps not a problem 80's during the day and low 60's at night. Sorry guys and girls but someone gota do it.

Skip

Back