Smoking Peppers as on the Homepage

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I haven't posted for sometime because I have been busy.

Anyways, I went last night and bought a hot plate and a skillet to try the electric cold smoking method. I gave is a dry run with no food items to see how it does and it worked like a charm. It produced wood smoke after about 10 minutes and the temp was about 165F-175F. The only thing I have to offer is this; if you buy a new hot plate like I did it you should do a dry run like I did for the simple fact that mine smoked in about 1 minute, but wood smoke it was not. It was a nasty smelling smoke from the new coating on the element. I would hate for somebody to get sick from toxic fumes permeating there food.

Hey Chris. Have you enver thought of making a forum for Weber Kettles? There is nothing else I could find on the web. I am sure that plenty of people with the WSM also have a Kettle.

Thanks for the heads up on the element coating.

Where did you get the hot plate? I want to try this for some low temperature smoking too. I read another post here, that said Sears sells a good one, but my local Sears was out. The manager said she usually gets them in for "back to school," but didn't get any this year.

I got both the hot plate and the skillet at a local Tru-Value hardware store. Total cost for both was about $24.00.

This looked good to me, too.

Is it possible to run the WSM on charcoal at a temperature low enough to do the drying? Or is it just to hard to keep the fire going while keeping such a low temp?

John: When you log on to TVWB on the homepage it has a article about smoke drying tomatoes. I am using that method. Actually I haven't done it at all yet, I just got the stuff last night, I am going to try to make some Chipoltes this weekend.

Tony wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Is it possible to run the WSM on charcoal at a temperature low enough to do the drying? Or is it just to hard to keep the fire going while keeping such a low temp?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It can be done both ways, but using charcoal requires much more attention. I haven't done either yet, but I would like to make jerky, as well as peppers and tomatoes. I think I should do it the old fashioned way first with charcoal, to gain an appreciation of the process, before I try electric. I would also have two results to compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back