Smoking one pork butt vs two

Gregory

TVWBB Member
I saw some Boston butt pork roast on sale for $1.19/lb and thought I would get some for one of my first 5 smokes once my WSM gets here on Tuesday. I noticed that the recipes included on this WONDERFUL site reference q'ing two roasts at once. There is only two people here and doing two would be overkill without company. Can I follow the instructions provided with just doing one? Or do I need to change temperatures of the cooker, etc, if only doing one. Thanks.

A lot of people do two at once because that's the packaging that can be most inexpensively obtained at a warehouse club, for example. You don't really need to change anything technique-wise when doing a single-- it should be a little easier to get your cooker to the desired temp, if anything.

As Doug said no different doing one or two. I always just cook one Butt never cooked 2 of them at once. No worries.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
As Doug said no different doing one or two. I always just cook one Butt never cooked 2 of them at once. No worries.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bryan S...I think I'm just going to email you direct from now on...you've answered every question I've had! Thanks both of you...one it is! I think I'll still buy two at that price though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregory:

Bryan S...I think I'm just going to email you direct from now on...you've answered every question I've had! Thanks both of you...one it is! I think I'll still buy two at that price though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Glad i could help. Hey that's a great price. I always buy 2 at BJ'S and freeze the other one. Alot of people cook 2 of them and then just Foodsaver the leftovers and reheat them in boiling water. I like doing one at a time so that gives me more cooks that way.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregory:
Do you boil the vacuum packed bags and all? How does the taste compare to fresh out of the WSM? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, just take the foodsaver bag out of the freezer and drop it in boiling water for 20 minutes. It's the best way to reheat it. Some do it with ribs(takes longer than 20 min though) and they say they are just as good as when you pull them off the WSM. Never did it with ribs but with Pork Butt and Chuck Roll it works great. Once it's heated through just cut open the bag and pile on a bun add your sauce and injest.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back