Smoking for 2.5

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi, complete newbie here getting close to buying a WSM, but would like some advice on a couple of things to help justify it.

Most of the time (at least until I build some confidence on my smoking abilities), I'll want to make things that will work well for our small family (wife and 4 year-old). In other words, before I go burn up a 15-pound hunk of meat with a dozen friends waiting, I'd like to try a few smaller things beforehand.

Questions:

1) What are the best things to attempt as I'm learning, given that most of what I'll make the first few times out will be for two adults?

2) If I make something bigger, what are the types of things that I can keep or freeze, and what's the best way to save and later "revive" it?

If I get some good suggestions and have luck over the summer, maybe I'll turn this into an article for the site. Maybe "Newbies' Guide to Learnin' without Burnin'?"

Thanks from a newbie,
Chris

Hi Chris, and Welcome!

I've only had my WSM for a couple of months, so take that into consideration.

I'd suggest that you start with a pork butt for a couple of reasons. First off, they are real forgiving. It's a long cook, but the temps can vary and you still get great results. With a little one in the family, the Mr. Brown recipe might be a little too spicy, but the spice is mostly in the bark, so some interior meat would be okay. Secondly, the butt is fairly inexpensive, so even on the off chance you did mess up, you wouldn't be out a lot of $$.

If you want a shorter cook for the first time, you can't beat baby backs and the BRITU recipe here on the site.

The butts will also provide you with plenty of leftovers to freeze. Either invest in a FoodSaver or pack in ZipLock bags and squeeze most of the air out. To revive these, I'd suggest a quick spritz of apple juice, cover and heat in the microwave at medium heat. If you put the leftovers in a FoodSaver bag, you can boil right in the bag to reheat.

Look over this site, the recipes and the forums, and you'll get all sorts of ideas. If you have a question, just ask it. I've found the folks here to be most friendly and helpful. Most of all, have fun with the WSM. Your family will think you're the best cook on the planet!

Happy Q'ing!

Chris,
I've had my WSM since Dec. 2003 and tried a bunch of different cooks (brisket, butt, ribs, salmon, chicken, turkey) throughout the winter to get the hang of things. I would suggest, if you haven't already, take a look at all the information on this site, it's really helpful. Salmon is pretty straight forward, and you can get a small fillet and it doesn't take too long. Though for a "real" BBQ I think you have to smoke some pork. My first cook I did ribs (spares) and they came out pretty darn good for the first time. I followed the recipe(texas sprinkle)here. Happy smokin', you'll be an addict before you know it! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Chris,
Ribs are a great way of learning how to smoke. You can cut the meat off the bones for your four year-old. Butts are also good and produce lots of leftovers that taste good in everything from soups to sandwiches, omelettes, you name it. Poultry is another easy cook that can be done in a few hours. Once you get comfortable with the WSM you've got to try a brisket. Pick up a nice flat, serve it for dinner, and have leftovers for the next few days.

Thanks for the replies. D'oh! I forgot about this article on storing and reheating:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/storing.html

Looks like I'll start out with the BRITU and some poultry before taking on a brisket.

Happy smokin', you'll be an addict before you know it!

Erich, I think I'm an addict before I've even started!

Chris,

Give the salmon recipe a shot, too. It's a fairly quick cook but still requires that you keep control of the temperature. Not only that, it tastes good!

I'll second Tony on that. Just did the Appetizer-style salmon and it was fantastic. Actually find a nice fillet of wild salmon, not farm raised. Wife can't stand the smell or taste of salmon and she loved it! Used a little apple wood for the smoke - it was superb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back