Smoking Corned Beef vs. Curing, Then Smoking Brisket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
My father is asking me to make pastrami. Should I go the easy route and use an already cured "corned beef brisket"? Or is it better to cure a fresh brisket? If anyone has tried both, I would like to know which one you preferred. Thanks.

Larry, I tried the corned beef route. It did taste and smell a lot like pastrami but my wife thought it was way too salty. I ended up eating it for a week by myself. I changed the water three times in two hours like the recipe called for but it wasn't enough. The next time I try it I'll soak it overnight. Haven't tried it from scratch though. Cliff

I have used the store-bought corned beef and made pastrami from it twice. I rinsed off the gooey slime it's packed in-- the John Morrell brand, anyway-- threw away the seasoning pack, and proceeded according to the website recipe. It was edible, but not as good as what I produce from choice flats in cryovac from Sam's. The pre-cured ones-- apparently-- are from the less-desirable section of the flat, that is they seem to be the part where the flat and point meet, and they are cured by injection. At least that's what I perceived.

That pretty much answers my question! I will start with the fresh brisket and cure it myself. At least that way I will know exactly what I am cooking. Thanks for the help guys.

Thanks for the link, Doug. Be careful down in New Orleans, Ivan looks pretty mean. Let's pray it does not head toward "any" land, and make a B-line out to sea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back