Smoking chicken without the waterpan

SteveM.

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi everyone, I have 6 half chickens in the WSM. 3 on top 3 on bottom. I just put foil in the pan, no water. Temp is about 325-350. How long should I keep them on? Also should I flipp them at any time? Thanks

Till the temp in the thigh reaches 170 to 175. Hopefully you have a therm to measure internal meat temp. That really is the only safe way to cook chicken and still not dry the breast out. I don't flip mine.

Paul

1 1/2 to 2 hours should do the trick, I would suggest that you suspend the foil of the bottom of the waterpan to keep the fat from burning and effecting the overall flavorof finished product. As Paul said finish internal is the true guide.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Minion... I would suggest that you suspend the foil off the bottom of the waterpan to keep the fat from burning and effecting the overall flavor of finished product. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jim

That's an interesting suggestion and in all these years I've never thought of doing it that way. It does make sense. Are you using the standard or the Brinkman pan when the foil is suspended ?

Talk about burning the pan. When I pulled my brisket Saturday, I carefully closed all vents to snuff out the flame. In my haste to get the food in, I did not seat the lid back on correctly. When I was about to clean up the next day, I noticed the lid, first thing. Enough air had entered to burn all remaining briqs, boil out the water from the pan and throughly scortch the pan with the remaining fat. I'm glad I was using the $4 Brinkman pan !

Paul

Paul
I orginally started suspending foil to catch drippings that I would use for sauces, I believe Chris talks about it for making turkey gravy in his annual turkey posts.
I use it with either the Weber or Brinkman pans.
Jim

Back