Smoking Cheese

Bob Bailey

TVWBB Guru
Smoked some small blocks of Pepper Jack and Irish Cheddar, along with a brick of cream cheese in the Jumbo Joe 22", using a smoke tube for heat and some smoky love. Used Bear Mountain Gourmet Blend Pellets in the tube and seasoned the cream cheese with a dash of SPG and a moderate sprinkle of Memphis Dust. Just pulled the hard cheese and moved the cream cheese over the tube for a little more heat. Finished up all the garden chores and got everything else on auto pilot, so had time for a couple of pics.

Kettle.jpgHard cheese.jpgCream Cheese.jpg

Looks good! What Santa Maria attachment is that? I really enjoy mine from Gabby's Grills (and I'll be using it tonight) but its design does not allow me to fit the Kettle lid while using it.

How long do you rest it before you chow down?
Will sample the hard cheeses in about a week and see if it's mellowed enough. I usually only smoke for about an hour in my Big Chief with a gap of an inch or so at the top of the door. First time with a smoke tube and let it go for ~ 3 hours. Close to the same color, so guessing that the mellowing time will be about the same.

The cream cheese went for almost 5 hours. First time, so just experimenting.

Looks good! What Santa Maria attachment is that? I really enjoy mine from Gabby's Grills (and I'll be using it tonight) but its design does not allow me to fit the Kettle lid while using it.
The OnlyFire. Looked at the Gabby, but the OnlyFire had some features I really liked. The grate can be removed from its frame and any 22" Weber compatible grate used in its place. As you saw, the lid and Weber grate can be put on without removing the adapter. Also, the rotisserie mountings are much more stable. Also, the build quality is just as good. By the time you add the rotisserie to the Gabby, it's almost twice the price as mine.

Back