Smoking brisket - temp question

• Thread starter Thread starter Barry
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barry

I am in the middle of smoking a brisket and I have a question on it's temp. I mopped it about 1 hour ago after cooking for 4 hours and since then the temp has gone down from 170 to 163, though I have maintained a constant WSM temp of 237 - 243. I read about temp plateau's, but is this normal as well?

If you have an instant read thermo available, take a quick check in some other spots. There are things going on inside a cooking brisket-- fat rendering, collagen breaking down-- that could cause odd readings. Or if you have a screwy remote probe thermo... /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Did a check with an instant read thermometer in 2 places in the brisket and got the same temp 161. I did notice that the water level is low in the pan. Should i refill it? Is that what is causing it?

There shouldn't be any connection. You could add some hot water to the pan, though-- instead of cold so you don't bring the cooker temp down. I'd say just ride it out-- it'll come back up.

The water level would only affect the temperature of the smoker itself.

I've done 3 or 4 briskets now on my WSM. At least one I really messed up bad temperature wise (overnight cook, door fell off, temps were 350...it was bad). Every single one of them has come out tasting great!!! (ok..the mistake one could have been a little more tender.. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Don't panic!

-Matt

I think I am going to have to finish the brisket in the oven. I am looking to have dinner at around 5pm and it is 3:15 with the brisket still at 161 and going no where fast. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

Coincidentally, I am also doing brisket today. It was reading 167. I just flipped it and basted it at the 4 hour mark. Now it's reading 161.

You could foil and leave it on the WSM-- it will rise. Or foiled in the oven is an option (oh, the shame... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ). Once out of the plateau, however, it's usually not very long thereafter to reach target.

That is just about what happened to me as well Doug. But mine went from 170 down to 159 (in a period of over 1 hour) before I had to put it in the oven to finish it off (It was still great!!!).

I am a bit puzzled by the dramatic drop in brisket temp as my WSM was holding steady at 237. I wonder if my temp gauge suddenly stopped reporting an accurate temp and the actual temp in the WSM was much lower.

Anyone else with an explanation or an idea as to what happened?

When I flipped basted a second time, at the 6 hour mark, the temp dropped 6 or 7 degrees again. I didn't move the thermometer, just rotated it to arrange the cable passing under the lid. I think it's just juices or fat or whatever's touching the tip of the probe at the moment that cause these fluctuations. It came out fine in the end, pulled at 188, and rested for an hour in foil in the ice chest.

Doug, I have a few questions.

How long did it sit at 161 before it started going back up?
What was the temp at the 6 hour mark?
How big was your brisket?
How long in the end did you cook it for?

Hopefully between what I read here and my first experience I will be able to do better next time. This brisket was good, but not the fall apart kind, and that is what I am shooting for!

Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Barry:
[qb] Doug, I have a few questions.

1. How long did it sit at 161 before it started
going back up?
2. What was the temp at the 6 hour mark?
3. How big was your brisket?
4. How long in the end did you cook it for?[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>1. Not sure. I went to the hardware store.
2. 174, I believe.
3. Started out at about 5 lb.-- It was a trimmed brisket with both a flat and point.
4. About 8 hours.

My temp reading drops were instantaneous, and only when I flipped the brisket.

The end result was very good-- the flat sliced into quarter-inch slices that didn't fall apart, but pulled apart easily upon tearing. The point shredded easily and had a wonderful bark.

Glad to hear everything worked out for you.

I guess something happens when you flip the brisket that causes the temp to drop. I suspect you are right about the juices and the basting causing the fluctuations. Next time I will be more prepared.

Once a brisket hits the plateau there are a large number of cells releasing moisture and this will cause the temp to stall or even drop until you make through this period. What you are seeing is normal.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back